Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Infected Ear Piercing that won't heal

Hello! I have a pierced ear infection that will not heal for several months now. Doctors have refused me an appointment for this, but I wouldn t think it is healthy for my body to continually be fighting this infection. I have tried hydro cortisone ointment, piercing solution, and soaking in salt water without luck. The piercing is hard, a little painful, and dried/crusty. I have not worn earings for over three months so I doubt it is an allergy . What else can I do and should I continue trying to find a doctor who will take a look? Also, I have had constant headaches/changes in vision since this started. Could that be related or is it just a coincidence??? Thanks!!
Asked On : Wed, 6 Apr 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  589
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
  User's Response
Welcome to Healthcaremagic Forum

Headache and vision disturbace required medical attention. Please talk to your dr or visit an ER.

On the infected ear lobes, please apply calendula ointment 3 times day, and use calendula - q (tincture) for cleaning it, twice a day. It will heal in about 5-7 days.

Answered: Wed, 6 Apr 2011
General & Family Physician Dr. Fatima Farhana's  Response
infection following ear piercing is usually due to piercing with unsterilized instrument,handling by a unwashed hand,using low quality ring, appyling rings too tightly and so on.any discharge from piercing site,redness,swelling there?if it is non healing for several month,take opinion from specilist of plastic and reconstructive surgery.they may undertake a minor surgery on day case basis to relieve you.
Answered: Wed, 6 Apr 2011
I find this answer helpful
ENT Specialist Dr. Amrita Basu's  Response
If your ear piercing is not healing , for several months and is painful ,i would suggest you start a course of oral antibiotic( co-amoxyclav group if not allergis) and also use a topical antibiotic like T-Bact ( contains mupirocin). Check your blood sugar(FBS/PPBS) and also a complete haemogram needs to be done as a baseline to rule out any cause of immunodeficiency which may be preventing your natural healing process.You may consult a general surgeon/ ENT surgeon.take care.
Answered: Thu, 7 Apr 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor