Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Infant with diarrhea, vomiting. What can i give him to help?

my 1 yr old son has just gotten over the vomiting part of the what im assuming is the stomach flu , now for the past three days he has has bad diarrhea and recently accompanied with a hard distended belly which is making him very uncomfortable what can i give him to help? I have tried the gas relief for infants but it hasnt done much and he still isnt eating much. thank you
Asked On : Thu, 28 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  36
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The most important aspect of your son's treatment is management of his fluid intake to prevent dehydration which can commonly occur in children with gastroenteritis.
Signs and symptoms of dehydration are: decreased urine output (decrease in the number of wet diapers you have to change), dry skin, elevated heart rate, drowsiness or decrease in conscious level, tenting of the skin (when it is pulled up, it stays in that position because of lack of fluid in the skin), crying with no tears.

It is important that he is given fluids to replace what he is losing by vomiting and diarrhoea. The best fluids would the oral replacement fluids such as pedialyte which would contain water and the electrolytes that he needs. He may not want to use alot at each time and actually giving too much at once may cause him to vomit. Normally it is recommended that a small amount (a tbs for example) be given every 5 minutes.
If he does not tolerate the fluid by mouth then it may need to be given by iv by his doctor.

In addition to fluid replacement (the most important part), you can try to use of probiotics which have been shown to reduce diarrhoea.They may be found in some yogurts or on their own at some pharmacies.Avoid any solid food at present as well as any milk products which may make the diarrhoea worse.

At his age ,it may be best to take him to his doctor so that his fluid status can be assessed and the exact amount of fluid needed to rehydrate him and continue normal function, be calculated.

His appetite will return when he feels better.

I hope this helps
Answered: Thu, 28 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor