Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Infant having lose motion, watery with smell. No vomit, fever . Is it serious? What can i do?

Hello Sir My son is 1 year and 6 months old. His birth weight was 2.500. At present he is running and trying to say words. His present weight is 10kg + . For the past two days he is having lose motion. Watery type that too with a smell. No vomit not having fever . After eating something he is having this watery motion. Is is this a serious matter sir...
Asked On : Thu, 7 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  19
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi, thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

You should first look for signs of dehydration (loss of body water) in your child. The signs like
1. restlessness or irritability.
2. increased thirst.
3. sunken eyes.
4. dry mouth and tongue.
5. decreased urine output.
indicate that the dehydration is severe . If these signs are present then then the child must be admitted and intravenous fluids should be given.
In rotavirus diarrhea vomiting is the early feature. your son is not having fever and vomiting and so the possibility of rotavirus is minimal but still it needs to be excluded.
Since the stools are foul smelling it could be diarrhea due to amoebiasis or giardiasis. Foul smelling stools with flatus and abdominal distension is suggestive of giardiasis. Bloody stools, diarrhea, pain in the abdomen and fever indicate amoebic infection. The drug Metronidazole will be effective in both infection. Diarrhea due to bacterial infections should also be ruled out.

Stool examination will help us to arrive at the diagnosis.

Treatment depends on the causative factor.
1. ORS (oral rehydration fluid) to correct water and electrolyte deficit.
2. Diet like rice with milk, curd with sugar, mashed banana will be helpful.
Probiotics like lactobacillus, antibiotics like cotrimoxazole or antiamoebic drugs like metronidazole should be given based on your treating doctor's advice.

I hope this is useful.
Answered: Wed, 3 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor