Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Infant having frequent loose, watery motions, no change in diet. Suggestion for medicine and diet?

Hi Doctor I am a father of a 10 months old boy , from 2-3 days he is having loose motion , its completely watery and happening 6-7 times a day. His diet is same and nothing actually had changed . Not sure of the reason , please suggest 1 - medicine and 2 - food that he can take now . He takes cerelac stage 2 , dal water , smashed banana , boild vegitables and apple juice
Asked On : Sun, 23 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  55
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician, Cardiology 's  Response
Thanks for the query
Most of the diarrhea in this age group is due to viral infection and primary management is to maintain proper hydration and to continue feeds. You have already ruled out the possibility of this altered bowel pattern due to change in feeding pattern. Give him frequent sips of ORS, Syp. Zincris 5 ml once a day for 15 days, Enterogermina respules 1 such daily for 3 days. Go for stool routine and microscopy examination. After an episode of diarrhea usually it takes 5-7 days to bowel pattern to become regular. As there is loss of epithelial cells of intestine and it regrow in 5-7 days. If stool report is normal and it is not mixed with blood or mucus there is no need of antibiotic. If there is any abnormality then give Ofal-M/O2 syp. 5 ml twice a day for five days.
What you need to look for is ''decreased urinary frequency'',decraesed oral intake( both are emergency condition and needs hospital admission),having continued temperature, blood mixed stool or any other obvious symptoms. If there is nothing like this then you should not worry. If you notice any one of these then consult your doctor immediately.
So, I would suggest you to ensure adequate hydration of baby by frequent feed, continue ORS sips, you can also give plain water if he is reluctant to take ORS, give the medications as prescribed and be watchful for danger sign.
I hope this answers your query well
Wish you and your family good health
With regards
Answered: Sun, 23 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor