Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Infant having frequent bowel movement and noticed weight loss. What cure and precaution is required?

Hi, My 14 months baby is having grequent motions from last 15+ days. Its like he gt motion after every 2.5hrs he eat something . im giving him Milk 600 Ml, curd, rice, kichri, biscuits and offcourse water I can also notice weight loss . The behavioural aspect is also different from normal he is more frustrated at times. Pls guide
Asked On : Wed, 27 Feb 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  34
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Pediatrician 's  Response
Thanks for your query,
Child is having chronic diarrhea and as he is irritable and there is weight loss also .
I suggest you to get him evaluated by pediatrician,as stool routine examination and culture will be needed.
In the meantime give oral rehydration solution to replace electrolyte loss ,give lemonade,continue with curd,kichri.
Add lactobaccilus sachet for 2 to 3 days and zinc for 14 days after consulting your pediatrician.

Wishing your child good health.
God bless.
Answered: Wed, 27 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Pediatrician Dr. Samik Basu's  Response
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
He is having persistant diarrhoea.
Give him a probiotic -zinc formulation for 14 days.
Stop all milk preparation.
Give him more of solids.Avoid wheat and fruit juices.
Perform a stool test and do a celiac profile for your child.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.
Answered: Wed, 27 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query,
Your child seems to have persistent diarrhea with dehydration as there is weight loss.
In persistent diarrhea in addition to infections, other causes of diarrhea like excessive consumption of carbohydrates, lactose and sucrose intolerance, excessive consumption of fluids and juices to be ruled out.
Restrict fluid content to less than 90 ml/kg/day.
You can try lactose and sucrose free diet after consulting your Pediatrician.
Stool to be sent for routine and for culture.
Withhold milk for some duration and try to give more solid food.
Consult your Pediatrician to for evaluation.
Hope I have answered your query.
Answered: Wed, 27 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Pediatrician Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal's  Response

Thank you for your query.

By your description I understand that your son is having gastroenteritis. If you feel he is loosing weight I suggest that you get him examined by a doctor and get a stool examination done. Weight loss and persistent diarrhoea is a cause for concern and needs to be taken care of. Ensure that he does not get dehydrated by increasing the liquids which you are already giving.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son an early recovery.


Answered: Wed, 27 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor