Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Infant having diarrhea and fever, stool exam showed blastocystis hominis, yeast and glucose cells. Treatment advise?

hi! my baby boy had a diarrhea and on and off fever for 3 days. i just received the result of stool exam of my 10th month old baby boy. it said there that there was a few blastocystis hominis present in his stool, in addition there were also ++ result yeast cell and +++result glucose cell found in the stool. what would be the findings with these infos and how will i administer treatment to my baby. thanks! YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Sun, 30 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  200
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response

Thank you for your query.

Blastocystits hominis is a protozoan parasite found in animal host intestine from where humans can get infected. Do you have pet animals at home? There is no specific treatment for it. If signs and symptoms do not improve over a period of time, symptomatic treatment can be provided.

I shall not worry of the yeast cells as they can be present in a normal stool. Presence of glucose or reducing substance is very common in diarrhoea and shall revert to normal once diarrhoea gets controlled.

I suggest that you take care of the feeding hygiene for your child and ensure that he is properly hydrated.

Wishing your son an early recovery.


Answered: Mon, 1 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor