Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Infant has red and swollen ear canal, seems to be in extreme pain. Any home remedy?

my 11 month old seems to have an ear infection that wakes her up screaming. I looked in her ear canal and it is red and swollen. I plan to take her to an urgent care in the morning but Im wondering if its worth an er trip because she seems to be in a lot of pain. Or is there some home pain remedy to get her through the night
Asked On : Wed, 26 Sep 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  36
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician, Neonatology 's  Response
In this situation (very painful), you can give her paracetamol syrup every 4 or 6 hours, until you could access the doctor
The infection has to be properly treated with proper antibiotic -
If the child has nasal block - normal saline drops to clear the nostril and reduce the pressure in the middle ear canal

Good Luck
Answered: Thu, 27 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Taher Kagalwala's  Response
Dear Roxie,

Otitis externa is one of the most painful conditions of the ear, and while pain killers like paracetamol or lignocaine containing ear-drops will provide pain relief to some extent, there is no substitute to taking her to an ENT specialist for proper diagnosis and treatment. I think you should not torture her further and take her right away.
Answered: Wed, 26 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor