Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Infant has Bilat Esotropia. Treatment?

Hi, I have a 14 week old presenting with what appears to be bilat esotropia - crossing alternates between the eyes or simultaneously but occasionally they will be aligned and track together. Have appt with pediatrician about this tomorrow. What are treatment options? My eldest son was diagnosed with bilat vy strabismus at 5 years and is requiring surgery.
Asked On : Thu, 28 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  35
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Pediatrician 's  Response
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
Do not panic.

Evaluation for an underlying disease process should be made when symptoms and signs lead in that direction.
Medical therapy should be attempted.

However, most cases of infantile esotropia will require surgical intervention.

It should be noted that any eye disease which significantly decreases vision (i.e. corneal opacity, cataract, optic nerve disease, retinal disease) may compromise eye alignment and can lead to an esotropia.
Life threatening conditions such as retinoblastoma must be ruled out when infantile strabismus is noted.
Usually children with infantile esotropia that present after 6-9 months of age and those who show limited abduction require imaging.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.
Answered: Thu, 28 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor