Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Incomplete root canal procedure causing tooth infection. Is tooth extraction the only way to get relief?

Hi doctor, I ve a tooth pains since last saturday. However i visied as dentist who told me that my tooth need to be removed as the root canal which was done 3 yrs back was incompelete bcoz of which i have infection in my tooth. Can yoy let me know if there is any aother resoultion apart from getting my tooth extracted.
Asked On : Thu, 2 Aug 2012
Answers:  4 Views:  139
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Dentist, Periodontics 's  Response
Hi Dear siri15y

By your history it looks like root canal treatment done for your tooth is incomplete or it is not done correctly. The options though for you is not only extraction. Before deciding on extraction an endodontist has to be consulted and opinion has to be taken whether root canal treatment can be re done. In that case the present filling what has been done will be removed and the root canals would be prepared again and new filling will be done. If retreatment cannot be done, which may be due to various reasons like perforated canal, fractured root, periodontal (gum) problem etc., then extraction has to be done. I recommend you to consult an good endodontist before going for extraction.

Take care
Wish you a speedy recovery and a great smile.Smile
Answered: Thu, 2 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query,
For root canal therapy to be successful, the canals must be thoroughly cleaned and sealed. Occasionally, the initial endodontic therapy was unable to remove enough irritants inside your tooth that it fails to heal or pain continues. More often, the canals are so narrow, hardened, or curved that the tiny instruments used to clean and shape them cannot completely pass through. Other canals are so small they are extremely difficult to find and went undetected or missed during the first procedure.
other options are
endodontic surgery
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful
Answered: Tue, 5 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Vishal Jain's  Response
Hi Dear,

The root canal has been done 3 years back and is paining now does not means that the only solution is extraction. we can re do the root canal procedure. In this we remove all the root canal filling material and then again prepare the canals, clean it with medicament, disinfect it and the re fill it with sterile material in the canals till apex. after that we secure it with the crown over it.

The best person who is expert in Re- RCT are the endodontics, if your dentist is not ready to do it, I suggest you should take a second opinion and check it with endodontics about it.

In many cases the re-treatment cannot be done, that endodontics will judge.


Dr. Vishal Jain.
Answered: Thu, 13 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Sapna Purwaha's  Response
i would advise you to consult an your
Dental history it is indicatef that since your rct was nit completed
your tooth got infected.extraction is not only the solution.
You can consult an endodontist and get an re rct of that
tooth.radiogtaph will be taken to confirm the diagnosis.
Antibiotics and analgesics will be prescribed along with the
Answered: Thu, 13 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor