Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Inability to grip with right thumb. What is the recommended treatment?

I am feeling difficulty in writing. I am unable to hold pen properly. Specifically my right thumb slips frequently while writing. Last 8-9 years I am facing this problem. I am 33 yrs old male having 5ft 7inch height and weigh 90kg.I am a regular gutkha chewer. I want to get rid of this handwriting problem, please help me.
Asked On : Mon, 9 Apr 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  15
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM!
Ater going through your query carefully I found few important points: you are 33yrs, 90kg, having slip of right thumb while writing from nine years, and you chew gutkha.

if I had been treating you I would have done a through examination of your hand and thumb, get an X Ray wrist! hand and thumb (right side ) along with nerve conduction study to check if there is a nerve weakness involved.

this condition does not look like being caused by gutkha chewing! however it is 100% effective to leave gutkha for ones general well being!!

As it is a long standing problem, and you have not mentioned that there is any other mental stress troubling you, it will be in your best interest to see a neurologist / orthopedician. It is almost not possible to tell the exact diagnosis without examination.

please see the doctor in person.
Hope the reply is helpful for you
Feel free to ask more queries.
Answered: Mon, 4 Nov 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor