In simple terms, What is a stroke?

In simple terms, What's a stroke?
Wed, 16 Dec 2009
's  Response
A stroke is the death of brain cells caused by an interference in blood flow to parts of the brain.

My mother is admitted for lacunar infarcts in bilateral basal ganglia.. she is unconscious for last one week and today we cud see some improvement in terms of openings of eye and some body movement. Can you pls guide me as to what exactly will happen after this and how much time it takes to recover

My aunt had a stroke yesterday adn the dr's said that the cerebal part of her brain is dead is this really serious and long term or is it something that can be fixed with rehab? Also she is only 45 and they are now saying that there maybe something wrong with her heart that cased this stroke,Does anyone know what some possible reasons/ problems with her heart maybe? Im not too sure on what exactly it was called but I think it was cerebal, she is alert but having slurred speach and partial loss of vision, she is able to walk but is very weak. She now has regained most of her vision but they have found through some physical assesments that she does have some problems using her left side extremities

In November mother (80 years old) suffered a stroke. She recovered quite well, only a little short term memory problems. About 10 weeks ago she was hospitalized for diverticulitis, 7 weeks ago she was hospitalized for 3 ulcers and cdif, then 4 weeks ago it was a bowel obstruction. I know this has taken a toll on her. She is now staying with me and my husband. She doesn t do anything for herself. I m not sure if she can or if she just likes the attention or a little of both. Another thing, she moans a lot. When you ask her what s wrong she says it just makes her feel better to moan. ??? Can she pull through this or is this her new normal?