Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

In forties, getting periods, stressed. Reason? Will regestrone help?

My wife is of the age of 45 years and for the last one month she is having periods.sometimes get stopped and starts again. Generally it is stated that harmones should not be given. But our doctor has prescribed Regestrone 5 mg table twice a day for minimum 3 days (if does not work then for 21 days). She is a teacher in profession and has hectic schedule in school. Since you are expert, kindly advise, if possible reply in return as my wife has to start regestrone today
Asked On : Sun, 28 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  34
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
Thanks for posting your query to this forum.
Your wife is 45 year and having bleeding problem which is common in this age group, it may occur due to some hormone imbalances, other very common cause is fibroids in uterus.
It is not correct that hormone should not be given actually they are treatment, yes treatment should be taken with expert of that field a Gynecologist.
If she is prescribed Progesterone (Regestrone) she should start taking and in most of the cases bleeding stops and please continue as per advise of your Gynecologist and once you stop those tablets withdrawal bleeding occurs.
In the mean time get Ultrasonography to see if there is any fibroid or any other cause, your Gynecologist may ask for hormone levels if required.
This age is perimenopausal so it may start or your cycles may become regular after hormone therapy for months or years, it varies with person to person.
Take care of her health if blood loss is more then correction of anemia may also be required.
Take care
Good Luck.
Dr. Akhilesh dubey.
Answered: Sun, 28 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor