Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

IBS, chronic diarrhea. On miralax, align, probiotic. Should I take laxative for chronic diarrhea?

Hi, I was recently diagnosed with IBS , and the doctor told me to take a probiotic , Align, and Miralax. I have absolutely no problems with constipation. Quite the opposite: I have chronic diarrhea . He said that Miralax was fiber , and that the fiber would help manage the diarrhea. I m not so sure Miralax is fiber ..... Any thoughts? Should I be taking a laxative for chronic diarrhea?
Asked On : Tue, 17 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  800
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
OBGYN 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
Taking a laxative for chronic will further aggravate your problem. If yoiu are having a diarrhea due to these probiotics, then it is best to stop bioth these drugs and incorporate some natural fiber and plenty of fluids in your daily routine.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal
Answered: Tue, 17 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor