I was just diagnosed with osteoporosis (used to be osteopenia).

I was just diagnosed with osteoporosis (used to be osteopenia). I walk 3-5 miles a day, am careful about what I eat, have never smoked, occasionally have a drink. I take calcium and D3 but just realized that the amount I've been taking the last 6 months. Is much lower than I thought I was taking. I guess I misread labels the last time I bought vitamins. I take 1000 IU D3 but only 400mg of calcium. I thought I was taking 1200mg calcium. Can I improve my bone density by correcting the calcium dose? I really don't like taking medication. I tried actonel for 18 months years ago and had all kinds of trouble with aches and pains in my legs, knees and feet.
Sat, 2 Jun 2018