Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

I was diagnosed with a heart murmur. Is there anything I can do now to prevent bad things from happening ?

I am 25, and was diagnosed with a heart murmur about a year ago. When I get stressed or drink too much caffeine , it hurts when it skips a beat (I have been trying to cut back on both). My family has a history of high blood pressure and heart disease . My question is, will a heart murmur develop into a worse condition later in life? Will I be more prone to any heart disease or heart attacks when I am older? Also is there anything I can do now to prevent bad things from happening?
Asked On : Sat, 19 Dec 2009
Answers:  1 Views:  448
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
Heart murmurs, are caused by structural abnormalities of the heart, defective heart valves or holes in the walls of the heart...innocent heart murmurs, usually found in children, do not affect the patient's health and require no treatment. Heart murmurs due to septal defects may require surgery. Those due to valvular defects may require antibiotics to prevent infection during certain surgical or dental procedures, severely damaged valves can be repaired or replaced through surgery, two types for adults are diastolic (while relaxing) and systolic (during contraction of the heart muscle) some defects close on their own, others require surgery to prevent progressive damage to the heart, severe murmurs cause shortness of breath, dizziness, chest pains, palpitations, and lung congestion and if not treated can cause death...your heart does not skip a beat, you hear the vibrating and sloshing sounds made by turbulent blood flow in between the normal beats of your heart. You didn't say which kind of heart murmur you have or which tests your doctor has performed such as chest x-rays, an electrocardiogram and an echocardiogram to determine treatment. I suggest you ask your doctor about your concerns and questions you have.
Answered: Sun, 20 Dec 2009
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor