Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

I ve had problem of Racing Heart/Palpitations - Doctors unable to find out a cause

I ve had this problem for years and no one can find it; today it s been at its worse and slowly getting worse over time. My heart started racing through a 10 minute period peaking at 158bpm (I have a pulse meter thing). When it peaked there was a large THUMP in my chest and my rate dropped back to 98 over the next 30 seconds. Now I am left with a numbness/tingly/burning thing on the side of my head and down my left arm. In addition I am feeling dizzy and weak and shaky. I have been diagnosed as having anemia but I don t believe this is a cause. Every time I ve gone to the hospital before they always do the standard tests (EKG s, blood, etc) and find nothing wrong. My search of the internet places my symptoms as a heart attack, or various other problems. Can anyone give me any advice? Let me add that a stress test could not reproduce the problem nor did it signify any other problems. I have been trying to find a trigger myself but realized that there is no trigger (well, that I can tell) as it happens at various times and situations. But I do smoke (i know, I ve been told I should quit, working on it)
Asked On : Sun, 20 Dec 2009
Answers:  6 Views:  808
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
  Anonymous's Response

I don't drink, smoke, drink coffee and seldom tea, mostly herbal tea that is caffiene free, and I have racing heart/palpitations.  Also, it sounds like blood is rushing in my whole upper body, especially my ears.  I am having problems sleeping and relaxing that is causing more problems.  Does anyone else out there relate to this problem.  I have had all types of heart test, blood test CBCs, Thyroid test, ECHO's, EPS, holster monitors, threadmill test, ultrasounds, catscans, MRI's, you name it, the numerous doctors I have been too say there is nothing wrong with my heart.  Something is wrong!  Is there anybody else out there with this problem?

Answered: Wed, 10 Mar 2010
General & Family Physician Dr. JItendra Sharma's  Response
It is difficult to come to a conclusion, from the kind of symptoms and lab results you have provided.

You need to get yourself, evaluated further to come to conclusion.
Answered: Sun, 3 Apr 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response

I feel my own pulse beating, my heart feels and sounds like it is trying to break out of my chest or ears.  The sound and feeling is more intense in my ears,  but I feel it in my whole upper body, including my arms and hands.  Is there anyone else out there like me.  I feel like a time bomb about to explode at any moment.  The feeling is overwhelming more and more each day, and this has been going on for over 10 years.  I feel like at any moment I will break or crackup.

Answered: Wed, 10 Mar 2010
  Anonymous's Response

I have been to numerous cardiologist, each and everyone of them said they could not find anything wrong.  I have every heart test in the book.  They suggested that I go to a psychologist, which I did and she said I have anxiety, panic attacks, and severe depression.  She put me on .25 mgs of Xanax, which I have been told by my primary physician that's a child's doseage, and an antidepressant.  I have stopped taking them, because they did not help at all. 

Answered: Wed, 10 Mar 2010
  Anonymous's Response

Can someone explain supraventricular tachycardia more in detail?  What are the symptoms?  I have gone to a cardiologist and a psychologist.  What is a cardioelectrophysiologist?  And, last but not least, what is a cardiac abiation?

Answered: Wed, 10 Mar 2010
  User's Response
First of all it sounds like PSVT or SVT supraventricular tachycardia... but if never captured on an EKG it is hard to diagnose.... you need to see a cardioelctrophysologist and get a holt monitor, or better yet cardio-net monitoring for two weeks and then if they catch it and EPS study. Find a cardioelectrophysiologist ( a specialty of cardiology ) in your area who does cardiac Ablations and they will be able to help you
Answered: Sun, 20 Dec 2009
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor