Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

I think i have fruits allergy

hi my name is alisha im 28 yrs old an i have been having this problem for yrs now its just geting worse dont now wht to do i noticed when i eat strawberries pineaples sunflowerseeds pistachoas my tongue swells up bad an i hve t rink so much water to stop it from hurting i was told my whole lifeyou have to break out in hives if you dont you fine is that true
Asked On : Sat, 17 Apr 2010
Answers:  2 Views:  260
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  Anonymous's Response

you are hyper hyper super allergic to those substances, as told bettter you stay away from them other wise if it reacts adversly which usually happens the throat may have to be split to save you from dying of suffocation froom the swollen tongue. alternatively you can visit any allergy centers to get yourself desensitized over a period of time

Answered: Wed, 21 Apr 2010
Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases Dr. Hema Yadav's  Response
Hi Alisha
Welcome to HCM
Swelling of tongue and lip (angioedema) and rash on body (hives) or loose motions after consuming a particular food item are symptoms of food allergy.
It is better to prevent rather than treat it . Mild cases require only antihistaminic drugs but sometimes it may even cause choking or breathing difficulty in which case u would have to go to the Emergency Room.The best thing is to visit a doctor (allergy specialist) or gastroenterologist to get diagnosed by patch test or other blood tests like IGE levels so that u can avoid the food allergens.also sometimes desensitization by small amounts of exposure repeatedly may help.Hope I have answered your query
Thank you
Answered: Fri, 16 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor