Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

121 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

I think I may be depressed.What should I do?

I am a 19 year old female. I get really sad for no reason everyday. I sometimes feel useless, worthless, confused, and lost. Some days, I have to force myself to get out of bed and socialize with my family or go to work. Only a few members of my family know I feel this way and that does not include my parents. I don t want them to know that I feel this way again because my mother treats me different when she knows. I pretend I m happy all the time but it s getting harder and harder everyday. When my mother asks me what s wrong, I always tell her, I m tired. I don t have the money to see a psychiatrist and at the moment, I don t have the money for medication either. Sometimes I think about hurting myself but I don t do it.
Sun, 1 May 2011
Report Abuse
  User's Response

What you need right now are not solutions, but a lot of introspection. Usually I would advice you to consult a Psychiatrist and perhaps a Psychotherapist for a combined approach. But if you can't afford it, we need to see how you can find help.

This is an open forum, and it may not be appropriate to discuss personal issues here. You can try sending me a mail by visiting my profile page. Let us see if we can ease out the situation with email exchanges.

Feelings of sadness, frustration, hopelessness, etc. are mostly a result of our own thoughts, inferences and beliefs about what happens to us. And thus, we have the freedom to modify our own thinking in a way that we can go on with our lives with minimal emotional disturbances. For this to happen, you need to find a way to explore your inner thoughts and beliefs. A therapist can of course help you with that. The next best option is discussing it via email. Let me know.

Take care.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD
I find this answer helpful
ENT Specialist Dr. Puneet Maheshwari's  Response
u donmt think that you are depressed..have positive attitude and have proper schedule of work and take proper sleep and rest is very important for you
I find this answer helpful
Ophthalmologist Dr. Nyla's  Response
All what you mentioned are signs of depression.Your so young what is the cause for such low in life?you should be having that answer.Obviuosly your not happy with things that have turned out whatever they may be but thats not reason to give up on life.Focus all your negative energy into positive.Feelings of frustration, irriability, depression bring on negative attitude especialy when your busy chasing things that you think will make you happy.So dont chase happiness.Here are few tips.Focus on your strong points instead of weak points. Emphasise on your strenghts.Develop a hobby that makes you creative and happy.Group activities are fun.Try something new. Do things that you enjoy the most.Forgive somebody every day.Have hope and faith towards everything and everyone.Most of all dont isolate yourself, talk about how you feel to your close freinds if you cant afford counselling sessions.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Around 5 days ago my brother fell back and hit his head quite hard on the pavement. he got up within a few seconds and was felling fine apart from his head hurting. there was no cut or bumps. he has been feeling fine since but do you think his head should be checked out by a doctor or do you believe it was just a knock and that he should be fine now. thanks

doctor1 MD

Hi I ve just found out I m 4 weeks pregnant and I m strongly thinking of a termination,guilt and worry is getting the better of me as I m thinking it will hurt the baby and I m in a way killing it.. I ve been told that at 4weeks there is no baby yet and it is merely a clump of cells.. Is this true? I will just be ridding my body of cells and not a baby?

doctor1 MD

i think i have a heart murmur, my mother and sister have one so ive been thinking i have one too. it only bothers me at night usually when im trying to go to sleep and its very frustrating. the doctors told both my mother and my sister that its not severe and shouldnt let it bother them, but i dont know if its the same for me... should i be worried? nobody seems to believe me, and i dont know if i should really be concerned about it or not...?