I suffer from depression, please explain what is going on ?

I am 17 years old I highly believe I suffer from depression. I am constantly sad and at times I can't even go out in public because I begin to cry and cannot stop it. Before my monthly cycle I begin to get excessively sad, I have nightmares and wake up very afraid. Yesterday and today I have had moments where I feel really sad and begin to cry but I am over 10 days away from my monthly cycle so i dont even know if that is exactly the cost. I have been this way for probaly 2-3 years now and I am tried of feeling so unhappy. Can someone please explain what is going on.
Tue, 26 Apr 2011
's  Response

Hi Kelly. I can fully understand the way u feel before your monthly cycle because i feel exactly the same way. its terrible. i cry for no reason at all, am jittery, edgy, sad all the time. and this happens to me as much as 7 day before my periods. but as soon as my periods satrt i start to feel better. sometimes i take alprazolam when i cannot bear it. i have spoken to my mother and sister about it and they also have somewhat similar symptoms but much much milder than mine. All that i have been able to find out about it till now is that it is premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and it is common, but nobody seems to have a cure.

Dr. Mishty Ballaney's  Response
these are the pre mentrual syndrome its very common in all the females but the intensity varies from female to female.this state occurs owing to hormonal changes in our body so dont get tensed about it everybody is having it not only you are affected.also i will advice you to consult homoeopath to get relief from these symptoms.
  Anonymous's Response
Anonymous's  Response

this may be depression, but why are you depressed. wats the reason for your depression. life is gods gift not to waste it by making yourself sad. enjoy and even makes others happy. share your depression or any problems with a good friends.

Anonymous's Response
Anonymous's  Response

There need not be a reason for depression in the sense that you're making yourself unhappy.  Sometimes it just happens that there is a chemical imbalance in your brain or body that causes it.  At times I get depressed...though I've never had chronic depression nor have I been diagnosed with anything, but usually there is no rational reason as to why I feel or act the way I do, so my conclusion is that there is a chemical cause.

makarandbaji's  Response
Depression is state of mind ... to come out of this best and the best cure is this
1) Early morning go for morning walk atleast 4-5 Km or more
2) perform Yoga and breathing exercise atleast 1 hour
3) Make compulsary Gymnasium work out atleast for 1 hr at evening.

you need to talk or chat with good friends....u can contact me on
makarandbaji@gmail.com , as currently i am also suffering with similar problem and fighting with depression
makarandbaji's  Response
I am tring to create self help group for depression affected persons where one can share views and experience