Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

I have vitamin d deficiency ,high PTH & normal calcium, do i have to see endocrine doctor to check the thyroid?

HI , am a lady 33yrs, i have the following endocrinology results : calcium 9.1 ; C.R.P:8.37, VIT D(25-OH) 11.3; & PTH 131pg/ml doctor said i have vitamin d deficiency & advised to take vitamin d 50,000iu one capsule once a week plus calcium 1200mg daily i took one vitamin last week & 3 tablets calcium but i stopped the calcium because i got constipation out of it. can you please advise me on the case? do i have to see endocrine doctor to check the thyroid?
Asked On : Wed, 23 Feb 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  290
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
  User's Response
You cannot take 1200mg of calcium daily because your body will only absorb 400-800mg at any one time and flush the rest. Can you cut these supplements in half? or take a lower dose (250-400mg)? You need Vit d with K2 (for absorption of calcium) daily then after a week or so take the right dose calcium. I take Isotonix Vit D with K2 (which has the Vit D value of 40 glasses of milk in one dose and absorbs in 5 mins with over 90% bio-availability.
Answered: Sat, 19 Mar 2011
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Ram Mani Bhandari's  Response
welcome to healthcaremagic
Sherry was right your body can absorb 400-800mg, so its worthless taking 1200mg please consult the doctor about this and taking appropiate dosage for you
Answered: Sat, 19 Mar 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor