Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

I have slipped disc. Is it necessary to go for surgery ?

I have a slipped disc (clearly visible on a recent xray and c-t scan) which probably has been with me for many years, I am male and now 71. Over the past six months the pain has got worse and I am now unable to walk for more than a few minutes without the pain returning; and then I have to sit to relieve the pain. After a few minutes I can carry on for another short walk. I fear the condition is getting worse. I have been advised that an operation would fix the problem, but I am anxious about this as sometimes I have heard that such operations can make matters works. Is there an alternative way to tackle this problem?
Asked On : Tue, 10 May 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  144
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
General & Family Physician 's  Response
I feel surgical decompression is the gold standard of treatment for your problem.
with surgery by a expert hand in optimal body condition, satisfactory anciliary preoperative investigations in hand,result is usually rewarding.
Answered: Wed, 11 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
General Surgeon Dr. Avinash A's  Response
hi welcome to healyhcare magic
surgery is the only solution..medically it cant be treated..but post surgery u might have some complications..its always better to give a try rather than suffering rest of your life
Answered: Tue, 10 May 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist Dr. Sanjay Sharma's  Response
dear pt
by seeing your complaint,its appears that you are in progressive compression of cord ,however get fresh mr scan instead of x ray/ get exact status of spinal disc affected,
in such type of cases we recommends to get ozone discectomy to avoid open surgery. in such age group,chances for failed back surgery syndrome are high,more superior technique like intradiscal prf had good success similarly.we are doing boths.
Answered: Fri, 13 May 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor