Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

183 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

I have severe dizziness and swelling legs, what is this a sign of ?

I have severe dizziness and swelling legs what is this a sign of ? I have recently had a cardiolite stress test and echo done they say the bottom half of my heart is abnormal.
Mon, 14 Dec 2009
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
  User's Response
This must be quite a diagnosis for you, and I'm glad you're seeking more information. I'll leave you with some links for further reading. But before I do that, I'll answer the basic questions you asked. The dizzyness is a sign that your brain is not getting enough oxygen. This may be as a result of the heart disease, a side-effect of the new medication that you are undoubtedly on, or both. The edema (swelling from excess fluids) is a sign of your heart not being able to pump enough to get the fluid out of your legs. I think it's very important to understand as much as you can about cardiomyopathy (that's what you have, heart muscle disease), what caused yours, and how you can treat it as effectively as possible. [Cardiomyopathy causes heart failure, which is what you are now fighting.] Although the treatments for different types of cardiomyopathy are all very similar, especially the medications, the need for exercise, dietary constraints, long term prognosis, etc. are all somewhat related to what caused the damage in the first place. For reading material, I recommend starting at It is written and presented by a fellow heart patient who has asked all the questions and done a great job of writing up his findings as he went along. See: I recommend you start by reading "The Manual." You will also find a great number of people that have been through the learning curve that you are on right now. I'll list some of the best places for that below. You may also want to find a heart failure specialist if you haven't already. A general cardiologist is going to be able to diagnose the problem, but only a heart failure guru that sees people with problems like yours every day will be able to give you the best guidance. You are your own best advocate. If your doctor doesn't specialize in heart failure, go find one that does! This may be only an initial consultation. You may find that your primary care doctor or a local cardiologist are fine for the most part. But it is definitely good to consult with a specialist. Feel free to send me a message off-line if there is any way that I can help. I know how daunting this must feel, so I'm happy to give you pointers to whatever information you may want. (My wife and I were in a similar position less than a year ago.) There are so many things to learn, so I'll try to avoid writing too much here. I'll leave with a couple more important tid bits of information: You may find that severely limiting your sodium intake will help reduce the swelling. Fluid intake restrictions are also often recommended. You should ask your doctor about both of these things. Salt is really easy to reduce nowadays, with sodium content on just about every food label. And once you do reduce it, any foods with too much sodium will taste really salty to you. Anyway, this is a really smart thing that you can do for your heart, and it might help you to avoid or at least reduce the need for a diuretic to take the water off. I also strongly recommend going to cardio rehab. Most rehab is meant for people recovering from recent heart attacks, but it is just as important for you, to learn how to exercise safely as well as pick up inmportant insight into other lifestyle changes, medications, etc.
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I m 23 years old and experiencing severe dizziness like I want to pass out and get really hor at times the hospital said it was vertigo and I feel like vomiting sometimes too and also have really bad anxiety would that have anything to do with it I m to young to feel like this feel like I m going crazy somerimes lol I just want to feel better again also it comes and goes sneaks up on me.

doctor1 MD

hi, I am a 21 year old girl and i am trying to have a baby. about 3 weeks ago i started suffering from severe dizziness out of the blue, i am so tired even though i am sleeping for 8-9 hours a night. i have blood tests done and they have come back clear, no problems. i am 4 days late on my period and am going to do a test tonght. if i comes back negative i am lost and have no idea what to do next. Please helo.Sarah Goodey

doctor1 MD

Hi, For the last two days I have been suffering terrible dizzy spells. The first time was yesterday when I was getting gas for my truck and almost passed out. I became extremely shaky and couldn t walk straight. I went home and had my roommate drive me to the ER. There they did a blood, and urine test while checking my blood sugar and blood pressure. When I saw the dr he said that I was dehydrated due to having a very concentrated urine sample. Today I have been drinking plenty of water and have also eaten food. I however am still getting terrible dizzy spells and it seems like when I have to do a bowel movement these spells come on. I have to work in a couple days and cannot afford to loose my job, please help me understand what s going on. Thank you

Recent questions on Technetium (99mtc) sestamibi

doctor1 MD


I had done Mibi test recently and Rest tomographic slice show a small to moderate sized defeat involving the inferolateral Wall with normal wall motion. However, the result shows that Mibi shows the inferolateral rest defect was mostly corrected by with the CT attenuation correction. I have sometime dull chest pain when I excercise. CAD test should blockage less than 50%. I am 44 yrs old with family history of heart problem. I do NOT have high blood pressure.

Here are the questions.

1.     SHOULD QUITE EXERCISE or CONTINUE? Or should change the exercise intensity – walk instead of run? How long? Etc.

2.     Should go for the Catherization and coronary Angiograms? Concerned due to invasive nature of it.

3.      Should repeat MIBI – Mibi shows the inferolateral rest defect was mostly corrected by with the CT attenuation correction.

4.     Should repeat the CAD test?

doctor1 MD

I had a cardiolite stress test today. I don t really understand the advantage of doing it. I am 89 years old and did the treadmill with no problem - - just before time to get off, I did feel tightness in my throat but managed to stay on the extra minute necessary.

doctor1 MD

I had a Sestamibi Scan on Tuesday for a parathyroid tumor. On Wednesday, started getting a rash on the back of my neck, now on the back, chest and stomach. Have a flu like headache, sides of my necks are sore...especially the left side, muscle aches and fatigue. Am I having an allergic reaction to the radioactive dye used in the scan and if so, what do I do?

doctor1 MD

have just been diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism

doctor1 MD

pain in shoulder blade center back along with pressure pain in upper left arm between shoulder and elbow and just slight pressure on chest -feel more with deep breaths, shortness of breath with goofing around with kids, walking quickly and...

doctor1 MD

Why does hyperparathyroidism cause GERD