Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

I have rough dead skin on foot and ankles. Do i need medical attention ?

History: I m a 27 year old caucasian male and have had this skin condition for approximately 3-4 years. I have always lived in Idaho, southern until about 3 years ago, North Idaho from there. I take a multivitamin 2-3 times a week and exercise regularly. Periodically I have had temporary red/flaky patches on my hands and feet which were resolved by switching to unscented/non-dyed soap. That condition still flares up periodically, generally when I ve used soap in a public restroom or somewhere else where i have no control over the soap. However this condition persists: Condition: The skin on the top of my foot forward of my ankles, directly above the cuboid bone feels noticeably rough and thick compared to the rest of the skin on the upper part of my feet. It often peels and flakes. It usually takes on a desaturated color, grey-ish compared to the rest of my skin, usually slightly darker than the rest of my skintone. When I peel away the dead/flaking skin it is a normal pink tone of any other healing skin. There is NO itching or burning sensation. It doesn t affect my day-to-day life, except being unsightly when wearing flip-flops or going barefoot. Ways I ve tried to treat: I ve tried a series of moisturizing creams and OTC steroid creams without any improvement, other than very temporary relief of the flaking. The rough, thick skin persists. Varying my water intake and bathing habits (from multiple showers per day to only one every couple of days) has no perceptible influence on the condition.
Asked On : Wed, 13 Jul 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  673
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
  User's Response
Edited to clarify, but lost the line-breaks when I re-submitted. My apologies.
Answered: Wed, 13 Jul 2011
General Surgeon Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh's  Response
welcome to healthcaremagic
from the description it seems that you are having psoriasis
its an auto immune condition and waxing and waning do occur
regular use of good moistureiser will help keepin the area soft and less dry
pleas consult dermatologist
yours is chronic localised affection and can be treate with local application of various preparations
besides local therapy with ointments u v light theraPY IS ALSO AVAILABLE
consult dermatologist and be explained about the condition and take treatment
Answered: Sun, 17 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor