Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

I have head- banging while sleeping

21 years old and tired of it. it is ruiening my life and body. apparently only occurs in infants and kids till 11years. while i sleep, i bang my head on my pillow, wheter im on by back, stomach or side. started at 2 months and never stopped. i cant sleep at someone's house, or let them sleep over, im embarressed about it, my neck are sore and my back, i just cant anymore. no doctor i have seen understands it or believes me. please help
Asked On : Fri, 22 Oct 2010
Answers:  4 Views:  263
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for your query on HealthCareMagic.

It seems that you are very distressed and suffering a lot because of the problem.

Your description could be due to several reasons- namely epileptic fit, REM sleep disorder or psychological problem.

The good news is that, it appears to be a treatable condition. You may need some investigations to find out the cause such as EEG, sleep study, video telemetry.

Consult your local neurologist, psychiatrist or sleep medicine specialist.

Best wishes,

Dr. Amardeep
Answered: Wed, 28 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Anesthesiologist Dr. Shivakumar. M. C.'s  Response
It appears to be epileptic seizure you need to under go EEG study during sleep to evaluate and treat the condition, it can be treated, secondly it may type of habitual movements called tics. for furthe management and evaluation consult psychiatrist.
Take care
Answered: Wed, 28 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful
Cardiologist Dr. Naresh Ruparelia's  Response
Hi well come to HCM.
Difficult to judge from description that you have some organic lesion or some psychological problem. No point in maiking guess work in this kinnd of things and
can miss some serious ailments. Best way is to see NEURO physician first and let
him evaluate throughly with clinical examinations and required investigations. And
if he feels there is nothing organic than and than only you should consult psychiatrist.
Answered: Wed, 28 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful
  Anonymous's Response
Did you consult a neurologist ? If no, i recommend you do it.
My website
Answered: Sat, 23 Oct 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor