Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

I have had chest fat or gynecomastia for a long time

I m 20 years old, slim and have 6ft.height. i have had chest fat or gynecomastia (don t know which one) for a long time. there is a soft spongy area under my nipple region. i don t know whether it is gynecomastia or not. i have been going to the gym for 2 years and have acquired good shape except for the chest region. i am at my college days and have to take off the shirt during stayouts. my friends are teasing me and laughing at me. although i m laughing with them, its like a gun shot through my chest. please suggest a remedy. i don t intend to do surgery as it is not possible for me to get my family s approval.
Asked On : Wed, 5 Jan 2011
Answers:  5 Views:  917
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dietitian & Nutritionist 's  Response
Welcome to HealthcareMagic,

Gynecomastia is the breast tissue located under nipple or both nipples in a adolescence males, ages 12-16 who are going through puberty experience some form of gynecomastia. Slowly it will become flat completely within a few months to a few of years; typically no medical treatment or surgery is needed.

Pseudogynecomastia (or false gynecomastia).Some males may have extra fat in the chest area, making it appear like they have breasts. A simple test with you PCP can determine whether you have gynecomastia or pseudogynecomastia.

Some times in adults, imbalance of 2 hormones (estrogen and testosterone) it may affect by some reasons like aging, Diseases, medicines, illegal drugs and alcohol.

If you are having any diseases consult your doctor. Taking some medicines stop those things. Stop illegal drugs and alcohol intake.

After that also you are not reduced then consult your doctor.
Answered: Thu, 6 Jan 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
i haven't been taking any kind of drugs.. i am very concerned in this case and am very careful..

but, this chest fat or gynecomastia wont go away. i've seen this through my photographs taken in childhoood ages. i've had chest fat since kid and it has not gone away.

i have been working out very hard and have acquired good shape for parts other than chest. i'm bench pressing large weights and underneath my chest fat, i can feel a chunk of muscle which can be tightened. but, due to the fat, even if i flux the muscle, there is no shape for the chest.

it is really embarassing for me to have this state of college mates and other friends are teasing me even when the chest is not exposed.

i must add a remark that my brother also has this fat, but lesser. he seems to be normal. but i'm out of proportion.
i also have seen that the chest fat gets compressed and acquires a slightly better shape when there is a cool temperature.(taking bath in early morning).

please suggest a remedy. also, if i need to see a doctor, which doctor shall i see? (for example, gynecologist)..
Answered: Thu, 6 Jan 2011
Dietitian & Nutritionist Aparna.k's  Response
Welcome to HealthcareMagic

How long you have had gynecomastia and what the severity of the symptoms is also plays a big role in the type of treatment you will get.

Try to change your life style be more active do some exercise like which will melt your fatty tissue around the nipple and chest area. Try to reduce your weight. Increase your metabolism by eating 6 small healthy meals throughout the day.

A natural supplement on the market that can be purchased over the counter called, Gynexin Alpha Formula. This product has been known to reduce the appearance of Gynecomastia.

First consult your Family doctor, take his advice. Latter think about surgery.
Answered: Fri, 7 Jan 2011
I find this answer helpful
  Anonymous's Response
I have the same case here
but the difference is that I had it like when I was very thin and it continued with as I get fatter and older
I recently visit my doctor he said that its a slight imbalance in my hormones I'm talking Androgel for 3 weeks now but without any changes in its shape and I also dropped 11 Kilos of my weight so otherwise its all the same as in Nadu's case

(excuse my English)
Answered: Mon, 24 Jan 2011
  User's Response
I forgot to munchin that I used to take asthma inhaler since I was 2 till now...
thats all
no drugs
no alcohol
Answered: Mon, 24 Jan 2011
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor