Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

I have gum recession pain. Will my tooth need to be extracted ?

Hello, I have some gum recession around an upper back tooth that has never given any trouble until today. When I brushed my teeth this morning, I experienced sharp pain in the recessed area. It does not hurt to bite or eat. The earliest my dentist can see me is 3 weeks from now. Is there anything I can do until then? Will my tooth need to be extracted?
Asked On : Fri, 11 Nov 2011
Answers:  7 Views:  533
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Your gum recession may be either due to a faulty brushing technique (if you are young), or due to bone-loss (if you are past middle age), or both.
Do warm saline rinses 6- 10 times a day, use a desensetising mouthwash or toothpaste, a do gentle gum message (with finger) 3-4 times a day for 5 minutes each,till you get to see your dentist.
A proper treatement can be adviced by a dentist, once he/she sees you in his/her office, and gets to a proper diagnosis.
Answered: Sun, 15 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Inderpreet Singh's  Response
gum recession may result in opening of the roots of teeth which may result in extreme sensitivity.
one more thing. it can cause food lodgement resulting in infection. so your pain can bve due to any of the two reasons. your teeth might also have been decayed.
confirmation can best be done by a dentist by thorough oral examination.
so i urge you to get yourself to a dentist as soon as possible.
Answered: Wed, 24 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Its not pain... its sensitivity. Roots of a tooth are meant to be hidden in the bone, but if dude to infection there is bone loss & gum recession, the roots gets exposed to the oral environment. These roots are very sensitive to cold, hot and can even trouble while brushing. You can use some sensitivity toothpaste till you see your dentist.
Answered: Tue, 17 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Vidhya. V's  Response
Hi , loss of bone around the tooth leads to gum recession . Its not that only extraction can be done .. can go with flap surgery depending on the severity of recession . As you dont have pain on chewing , no need of any tablets .. Beware that food shouldnt get lodged in that area . Get treated as soon as possible ..
Answered: Fri, 18 Nov 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Niharika Dhalla's  Response
hey as your gum has already been recessed in that particular area your root of that particular tooth is already exposed as you do brushing daily in horizontal scrubbing manner this led to the removal of the layers present on root, cementum and dentin leading to the exposure of the pulp tissue the inner tissue which ultimately is the reason of your pain .....for this treatment is root canal treatment but as u have mentioned your dentist is not available till then take painkiller , do warm saline rinses daily for at-least 5 to 6 times , don't brush in that area very vigorously ,use desensitizing paste and use mouthwash
Answered: Wed, 14 Dec 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Yuvaraj Mohan's  Response
What you suffer from is called a 'periodontitis with alveolar bone loss'. Gum recession is caused because the underlying bone that supports the teeth is lost. You have pain and sensitivity because the root of the affected teeth is exposed (which normally is surrounded by gums) due to receded gums. The treatment will vary depending on the degree of recession. You may require localized root coverage procedure if the bone loss is minimal (require an Xray). If bone loss is severe, perhaps a localized flap surgery. Both these treatments will be insituted only if there is no mobility of teeth. Avoid antibiotics or analgesics as self-medication; use a tooth paste like colgate sensitive or sensodent K (2 min application on exposed root before rinsing) until your condition is treated.
Answered: Wed, 16 Nov 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Thanks for query,
it seems that you might have carious tooth and now pulp is exposed and nerve is affected giving rise to severe tooth pain.
You may require Root Canal Treatment.
Extraction is not required.
You can take analgesic tablet and an antibiotic medicine.
Do listerine gargle and gum massage till you consult dentist.
Try to get early dentist visit.
Ok and bye.
Answered: Fri, 11 Nov 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor