Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

I have enlarged prostrate gland. Do i need medical attention ?

I am a male of 64 years old and have been reported with in the USG whole abdomen report as: Mild enlargement of prostate and Prostate: Prostate gland is slighly enlarged in size. Echotexture is homogeneous. It measures about 5 x 3.1 x 4.8cm. Volume of the gland is about 40cc. Shall I contact urologist immediately and is my situation intense? What shall I do, please advise me?
Asked On : Wed, 1 Jun 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  522
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello Dilawar, Welcome to HealthcareMagic Forum.
You haven't mentioned what exactly are your Symptoms? You report suggests you have Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) which is Prostate gland enlargement, common as men get older. Kindly get yourself examined by a Urologist at the earliest, so that he can examine you and suggest treatment which is best suitable to you as the Treatments for prostate gland enlargement include medications, lifestyle changes and surgery. There are various surgical options, like TURP, Transurethral needle ablation (TUNA) or Prostatic stents. Discuss with your Urologist and get a Prostate biopsy done. With this procedure, a transrectal ultrasound guides needles used to take tissue samples of the prostate. Examining tissues from a biopsy under a microscope can be help diagnose or rule out prostate cancer.
Try these measures, Limit beverages in the evening. Don't drink anything for an hour or two before bedtime to help you avoid trips to the bathroom at night. Exercise regularly and keep yourself warm. Don't drink too much coffee or alcohol. Quit Smoking, if you do. Try to urinate when you first feel the urge. Waiting too long to urinate may overstretch the bladder muscle and cause damage.

Wish you Good Health, Take Care.
Answered: Wed, 1 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor