Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

I have deformed rib. And it hurts

well on my left side. my rib like caves in and like the bones on the bottom make like a big bump. my ribs have never bothered me before until like last year, Im scared to go and see a doctor cause i dont know what it is. But sometimes it hurts to sit up and also my abdomen has been hurting seens yesterday. I dont know whats going on. Im only 16. i dont think this should happening to me. please help me !
Asked On : Tue, 8 Feb 2011
Answers:  4 Views:  2933
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  Anonymous's Response
I have this too! One my right side, the bottom rib curves in. Very painful. I've had it my entire life, but have only noticed how odd it is when I breathe in and see the misshapen rib compared the normal one on my left. Weird.
Answered: Sat, 23 Apr 2011
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Aashish Raghu's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
Is this problem with your ribs since birth or recently. Usually this is known as pectus excavatum which is a disorder which is usually present since birth. It may not cause any majoy health problem by itself unless there is gross disturbance in taking breath and discomfort associated. If you have fever, breathing difficulty orr chest pain it would be better to get a checkup by your Doctor. Also if you have less calcium in diet the ribs can become soft and deformed. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. Eat high protein and calcium diet like cereals, pulses, chicken, eggs, lean meat. For breathing difficulty try steam inhalation. Do visit your Doctor as soon as you can.
Answered: Tue, 13 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Jitender Chauhan's  Response
Hello, welcome to healthcaremagic. It is difficult to ascertain your actual medical condition based on your description and needs to be thoroughly examined to tell you the exact diagnosis. You need to tell me since when is this deformity present. If congenital it could be a condition like pectus excavatum or floating rib anomaly. It is advisable to you to visit your doctor for better diagnosis and further treatment. Wish you good health.
Answered: Fri, 30 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
i have the same thing located under my left rib cage, i think its referred to as a floating rib, not actual bone but cartilage. but i would like a docs opinion because its become a sharp pain when i cough.
Answered: Fri, 27 May 2011
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor