Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

I have deficiency of B 12. What could be the reason for this?

I am from upper middle class. Jain food habit. No junk food, no vices. Have good quality of fresh food only. I m 56 yrs old. Still my B 12 test ( done due to back pain and on the advise of Sr Spine specialist) shows only 218pg/ml and normal range is 211 to 946. 1. What can be cause? 2. What more tests to be done? 3. What steps to be taken to bring it to minimum 400 to 500 pg/ml.
Asked On : Tue, 8 Feb 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  460
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Go for Vit B1-B6-B12 injections and then tablets. I also strict Jain food. But as a part of medicine we don't have option for any other rich source.
Answered: Sat, 30 Apr 2011
I find this answer helpful
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist Vikas Dwivedi's  Response
welcum to health care magic.

ur vit b12 is normal but on border, having back pain is age related problem

u can include little bit cheese in ur diet, if swiss cheese is available thn its gud. this is the only option in veg food. with that better u tk a course of vit-12 tabs(neurokind is gud one) , u hv to tk once daily.and for ur back pain better u consult a physio.

tk cr
Answered: Sat, 30 Apr 2011
I find this answer helpful
Homeopath Dr. KOMAL vig's  Response
hello alok.. ur values are within normal range .. there is no need to increase the values othewise .. it will be an excess . and anything in excess is not healthy for the body..
as for the pain homeopathic medicines will be of great help to you..
u will b compleltely cured wit the help of homeoapthic medicine
consult a homeopath..
god bless
Answered: Wed, 23 Feb 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor