Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

I have been having heart palpitations. should I go directly to a heart doc. or what ?

I have been having heart palpitations (I m not real sure if that is how you spell it) I have had them here and there growing up, but nothing major. I noticed them more when I was pregnant with my children. But here lately they are becoming more frequent. I have no medical history due to being adopted. Sometimes if I am lying flat i can t breath , other times i ll be sitting here just like I am now and can feel my heart go nuts. It feels like I can t breath, my heart skips beats and it feels like I have butterflies in my stomach. If i get upset it starts, or if I yell at the kids for dinner I loose my breath. I saw my family doc and he is an idiot. He said I need a day at a spa!! Can I or should I go directly to a heart doc. or what? Thank you.
Asked On : Sat, 19 Dec 2009
Answers:  1 Views:  230
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
After seeing this specific complaint over and over.... everyone is right you need to go see a cardiologist and get what is called a stress test. You will also need blood work and may end up needing to take home a portable heart monitor for a few days to record the cardiac events. You may also need an echocardiogram. It could be the following: PVCs- premature ventricular contraction Atrial Fibrilation- basically a misfire of you atria in your heart. If you want to know right away if it is atrial fib... all you have to do is check your pulse... see if it feels consistent... if it is irregular its most likely a-fib. Very survivable. You may need cardiac medication. The blood labs will determine if you have had any heart attacks recently. The echocardiogram will look at the muscle wall of your heart to determine any possible past damage. It will also look at the valves in your heart to see if there is any stinosis (hardening) or a prolapsed valve. Except, if it was a prolapsed valve your childhood doctor would have heard it long ago in his 200 dollar stethoscope. The other simple answer is you may be having a garden variety anxiety attack. Easy way to determine if this is it... Do you get numbness or tingling around your mouth and in your fingers???? If you do, you have been hyperventilating. I hope this helps... OH!! the echo is just an ultrasound of your heart.. painless and 15 min... the stress test... run on a tredmill
Answered: Sat, 19 Dec 2009
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor