I have been having heart palpitation. Is it can be hereditary?

I believe I have inherited a heart malfuntion from my mother. Every few months I have heart palputaions..(?) ...the past fwe weeks I have been getting them almost every day. Just a little while ago they started now they're coming and going...I forgot the name of what my mom has but is this something to be concerned about..??
Thu, 10 Dec 2009
's  Response
You probably have atrial fibrillations which is a very common heart problem. The upper chambers of the heart quiver rather than beating in rhythm. This complication comes and goes and usually is not a problem but it does raise your chances of having a stroke which can be a major problem. You might need to take a daily aspirin or blood thinners. You are young for atrial fibs but it is certainly not unheard of. Also atrial fibs have a genetic component so possibly your mother has the same problem. In any case you need to see your physician and see if you need a beta blocker to slow down the fibrillations and/or a blood thinner. Stress or too much caffeine can trigger A fibs, so relax. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000184.htm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrial_fibrillation