Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

I have been having a pain around my groin. If it s a serious issue and if I should go see a doctor

Hi, I am 19 years old, male, and I have been having a pain around my groin, specifically, on the left side, 2-3 inches above my penis. This pain only occurs when I masturbate and put a lot of pressure to pee or to take a dump. I have a feeling that it is not related with any sort of inflammation because it only occurs during the climax of masturbation when I start to go very hard on myself or when I strain myself while defecating. Still, I m not sure. I am also concerned with the possibility of hernia because I workout actively in the gym and have been doing leg press with over 240 pounds for 8 or 10 reps. Recently, I started putting pain relieving balm for sore muscles over the area where it hurts and it didn t help. In fact, I started feeling the pain more frequently as I move around, raise my legs up or curl my body in random directions. This somewhat convinced me that it is a strained muscle tissue since the pain relieving balm always works this way when I put it around different parts of my body. But, due to the area where it hurts and the possible serious risks, I do not want to be so confident that it s a strained muscle, yet I keep telling myself it could be inflamed. I haven t been sexually active for the past year so I m sure it s not a result of STDs. I would be really pleased to know if it s a serious issue and if I should go see a doctor . Thank you.
Asked On : Sat, 11 Jun 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  250
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
Good Day
It could be due to many reasons but considering your daily activities including working out and the fact that the pain is relieved on pain killing balms, I believe it to be Atheletic pubalgia which is commonly called Sports hernia, though it is not a hernia in the true sense but inflammatory changes due to repetitive twisting and shearing forces. Do you play games like Hockey or Football. You would need to take pain killers though after consulting with your Orthopaedician, you can use a bag of frozen vegetables or cold gel pack, wrap it up in a cloth and apply at the tender area. Do this for 15 minutes every 1 hour for the first 2 days. You will need to confirm with the Orthopaedician about this diagnosis and rule out a true hernia as well. Treatment includes anti-inflammatory medication for the relief but defenitive treatment in this condition needs surgery to strengthen the inguinal floor.
Answered: Sat, 11 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor