Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

I have been getting unexplained bruising all over my thighs

I have been getting unexplained bruising all over my thighs for over a year. They are getting worse. I can have from a couple to up to five or more on each leg at a time. They appear suddenly...sometimes i feel an itching sensation just before some appear. My doctor checked my platelates which were normal but has since dismissed it. Since my aunt was diagnosed with a factor 8 deficience i asked to be refered to a hematologist.. Am i right in not allowing them to dismiss this...I know that it is not normal
Asked On : Thu, 21 Oct 2010
Answers:  6 Views:  2550
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  Anonymous's Response
Yes you are right about insisting about it. Your aunt was having hemophilia A (factor 8 deficiency). It is an inherited disease.
Our coagulation system depends on: 1. Platelets 2. Coagulation factors
It is not enough to check the platelets. Coagulation factors must be tested too.
Feel free to ask your questions
My website
Answered: Sat, 23 Oct 2010
  User's Response
You are right. One can inherit such diseases from 1st degree relatives, like aunt.Did you mention this to your dr? Its really strange , he dismissed this fact even aft knowing you family history.
Hematologist can help.
Answered: Sat, 23 Oct 2010
  User's Response
I did mention my aunts factor 8 deficiency to my Dr. All that she did was check my platelets. From the beginning I knew and advised her that specific testing need to be done to disagnose this disease. Though the bruising continues she stated that she did not see a reason to test further. I then requested to see someone else to be tested further so she agreed to make the referral.
Answered: Sun, 24 Oct 2010
  User's Response
Thank you so much for your reply
Answered: Sun, 24 Oct 2010
  User's Response
gud. Only a hematologist will be able to helpyou. u see such diseases are rare.
Answered: Mon, 25 Oct 2010
Pediatrician Dr. Santosh Kondekar's  Response
Answered: Mon, 1 Nov 2010
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor