Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

I have been diagnosed with LVH. Had HBP for approx 12 yrs

Hello, I am 50 yrs. old and have been diagnosed with LVH, and I've had HBP for approx. 12 yrs. I recently had a carotid artery ultrasound which showed approx. 40% blockage. I then saw my cardiologist and he ordered an MRA and it was negative. I am going to have another sono done. If it comes back with the same results, should I have an angiogram? I also feel like a flip flopping in my chest sometimes, especially with aerobic exercise.
Asked On : Tue, 10 Aug 2010
Answers:  1 Views:  321
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Blockage in your carotid artery can reduce the blood supply to your brain. A stroke can occur if your brain does not get enough blood.There are 2 ways to treat a carotid artery that has plaque buildup in it. One is surgery called endarterectomy. The other is a procedure called angioplasty with stent placement.Once the blockage is confirmed, an ultrasound test is used to view pictures of the blockage, and measure the quantity of blood flowing through the artery. Another diagnostic test, known as a cerebral angiogram, is also used to determine the level of blockage.Carotid artery blockage treatment depends upon the severity of the blockage, and the type of symptoms.Some times you might need DSA or digital subtraction angiography.
Answered: Tue, 10 Aug 2010
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor