I have a sharp pain on the left side of my chest right above my heart

for the past 4 days i have been having a sharp pain on the left side of my chest above my heart ? i am 20 years old, i have a sharp pain on the left side of my chest right above my heart....it happens about every half hour to every hour, it will be a shooting type pain, that kind of goes down in a line...certainly doesnt feel normal and i dont no what it is. i plan on going to the doctors, but would like to be know ahead of time to be educated before hand of the appointment. please help, thank you....
Thu, 17 Dec 2009
's  Response
It is extraordinarily unlikely that a 20 year old would suffer from angina unless you have other risk factors such as diabetes, extreme obesity, or very heavy smoking, and even then it's not common at that age. Sharp pains with no other symptoms (eg breathlessness, sweating, anxiety) are quite likely to be muscular in origin. Do you get much exercise? Or do you spend a lot of time in front of the computer? Do you have good posture, or are people always telling you to stand up straight? Weak muscles and poor posture can lead to muscle pains in your chest, back and sides. If you're a woman, do you wear a supportive bra if you need one? (seriously, for women with medium or larger breasts, wearing an unsupportive bra leads to exactly these type of pains - and a male doctor won't think of it as a possible cause).