Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

160 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

I have a pain in my back that is centered on the right side

I have a pain in my back that is centered on the right side. It is tender to the touch and feels like a sore muscle, however, there are no outward symptoms such as redness or swelling of any kind. Now it seems to be spreading from my back around to the front of my stomach, but I don't yet have any gastro-intestinal symptoms. Any professionals with any ideas ? My wife, whom is completing her Nursing Degree, does not have a reasonable explanation. This seems to fall in the category of the Unknown/House M.D. arena.
Sun, 15 May 2011
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response
It looks to be a muscle spasm. However if persistent for longtime, you need to get yourself tested for the etiology the reason for such pain.
I find this answer helpful
  Anonymous's Response
Anonymous's  Response
Hi. You have not said upper back or lower back so I cannot say if your problem is same as mine. I had pain on my right side in my upper back, almost in/ or little below shoulder area which was also starting to radiate to the front. It felt like sore muscle just like you are describing. I went for check-up. and was told it is posture related. i work 8 to 10 hours on computer and strain on my right arm was causing the pain. I was on painkillers for about 2 weeks. I also changed my chair. Doctor also advised physiotherapy but I never went for tht. Now my pain is better. But comes back if I work long hours on several days.But if you are suffering from low back pain it is probably something different from what I had.
General & Family Physician Dr. Syed Anwar Nadeem's  Response
A-A Arshad

Your question mark as unexplainable answer is

Take one teaspoonful of Turmeric (Haldi ) in a glass of milk daily for three days
You will alright IA
I find this answer helpful
  Anonymous's Response
Anonymous's  Response
Arshad, I am not sure why you raised the pint about gastro-intestinal system.I have a lower back problem on the right side for more than 4 years now.It started in a mild fashion and now it has become so troublesome that on days I have to take off from work.I have already checked with orthopedicians and also traditional healers.None of their techniques have worked for long time.I am planning to take about 3 months off around November and going to a yoga camp.Just want to give it a try before I would have to opt in for surgical measures.
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Yes! I am on the phone with my 2o year old neice who is in college in Sweden.. it 5am where she is and she woke up with quite a bit of pain in the right side of her back between the first couple of ribs above her butt... and when she breathes in it hurts more... She called an urgent care and the woman she spoke to said it might be nerve pain and to take an asprin and go to a care center in the morning.

doctor1 MD

I was carrying very heavy bags over the course of 3 days a week ago and I thought my back pain was caused by that but tonight I reached back to where my pain was coming from on my right flank side on my back and there is a very large painful mass that makes me want to throw up when I press it. My back actually feels swollen and throbs.

doctor1 MD

I have 2 spots of back pain, both on the right side. Between my spine and shoulder blade, and then again about half way down my back close to the spine. I do have scoliosis, it was about 19 degrees over 5 + years ago, haven t been back to see a doctor since. Could my curvature gotten worse?