Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

191 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

I have a heart condition and i want to go to the dentist , will this effect my heart problem?

I have a heart condition and i want to go to the dentist , will this effect my heart problem? I have a heart condition and i have had it since i was 11, i was born with a hole in my heart and i have had surgery to close the whole in my heart and to fix a valve in my heart, two of my chambers are enlarged and i also have irregular heart beat. I also have a pace maker that is not working and the battery is already drained. I need to see a dentist because my teeth need braces and i want to get them checked and straightened but I am afraid that it will effect my heart condition. What should i do?.......can i see the dentist with a doctors consent?
Sat, 3 Aug 2013
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

According to your clinical symptoms i suppose that you need to consult your Dentist as well as Cardiologist.
Before taking any antibiotics and analgesic you need to consult yo your Physician.
Orthodontic treatment can be preformed to you, consult to an Orthodontist and get the necessary x-rays and impressions done.
You have to maintain a very good oral hygiene during the treatment.

Hope this helps out,

I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Yogesh Tripathi's  Response
offcourse you can see your dentist with your doctors consent
orthodontic treatment is one of the most non invasive dental treatment unless you have to go for extraction
so what i would advise i that 1st you take a consent from your heart physician , have healthy condition i.e. as far your pace maker is concerned and than visit your orthodontist and ask for the treatment schedule , inform it to your physician and if he consents than go for the treatment
best wishes
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

  User's Response

You can contact me at: with all your details including medicines .your test reports, your other illnesses ,how regular with treatment.
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
nidhi chandra's  Response
Ask you doctor first! don't risk anything. if you are worried then there is a reason why. Better safe than sorry
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I am ashamed of my teeth. I have lost 3 central bottom and top teeth. It s late now but I brush and floss and use mouthwash now daily. I have 4 old fillings. One root canal. I am a smoker and my problem is that I am terrorized having my teeth cleaned. They are sensitive The last time I went the dentist had to use local anestic too clean my teeth. My question is there a new method laser for the plaque and smoke stains. I am so scared that I can t go and get them cleaned. Is there a new method?? And my bottom front tooth is sticking out of the gum and it burns constantly. It s not a toothache. I am at the point where I can t handle the burning sensation anymore. And I also have one brown spot on my bottom gum. I was on Zyprex for 3 years. And now I am taking Effexor for the panic attacks. I don t want to loose my teeth but the fear of the dentist is greater. Iam 53 years old. What can I do???

doctor1 MD

Hi, I m getting concerned about my gums as they seem to be shrinking and I feel i can see lower into the bottoms of my teeth . I thought it was white spots lower down, but there is no irritation, the gums just seem to be getting smaller. I have health issues at this time with my heart and I am taking Diltiazem 120mg now for going on 3 mths. I apparently will need Abilation Therapy . Simple enough. I also get blood work done every 3 mths. and all appears well. Do I need to see a dentist? Thank you, Shirley

doctor1 MD

Why do dentist not cure periodontal disease in the first place instead of not curing the P.D. And then keep on pulling people s teeth. And then when the people with P.D. get really sick from the P.D like heart attacks, CANCER again the doctors keep silent about what is causing all the problems. Larry

Recent questions on  Dental braces

doctor1 MD

My son soon to be 41yrs old had an injury at work that completely amputed his dominant right arm and externally amputed the external 98%. It was held on by a slither of skin in 2009. He has had 5 surgies. A bridge like bar inside the upper part of his arm and lower cavador nerves in the lower part. He has what they call a bear claw hand and wrist just flops so he has to wear a wrist brace but even though he has no feeling in certain parts of his hand he is in pain always especially in the cold. And where the bridge in the upper arm is you can t touch at all because it causes great pain. His WC cade was closed and now is on SSD and Medicare part A&B,but would never be able to afford any kind of medical bill balances. His medicines have cause him to have his teeth decay and he of course has no dental coverage at all. He needs a doctors that are willing to take care of his teeth with extractions and dentures but most important one that is willing to amputee his arm and give him a robotic one so he would once again have two arms and hands that work without pain any longer and then fix his teeth to aldso spot that pain and get him off his meds. But he also needs this all to be done pro bono since he would not be able to afford any cost. He is in the Bronx,NY.

doctor1 MD

I have a small lympe node in my neck. I have had it for sometime and my ENT noticed it again in my recent check-up. Has a Sono and waiting result. I have recently started with allergies and also stopped my Invisalign (clear braces) which I think was making me sick.

How would an ENT treat this? Can this be removed without surgery even if I've had it long term? I have no symptoms.

Note: I went to see my ENT for suppoedly Acid Reflux and this was noticed.

Thank you!

doctor1 MD

my son has been having diarrhea for about 1 year now since he had some teeth removed and a brace fitted. The diarrhea slowed down until just recently, he had to have some more teeth removed and this has caused him to keep having diarrhea after he has eaten something. He is 14 years old. When i was his age i had teeth remove but i did not ever get this problem.

doctor1 MD

I have braces and a piece of my wire came loose and was sticking out. I tried cutting the wire with wire clippers and a big piece of wire came out. I tried to cut it again because there was still a little piece of wire left and after cutting it i think i might have swallowed a piece of the wire. should i be worried?

doctor1 MD

I keep getting ingrown toenail on the big toe. When I get pedicure every 2weeks she digs it out and it feels ok for awhile. When I sleep if I am on my stomach the same toe throbs,and hurts. What should I do? Should I get pedicure more often?

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have a red patch on my tongue with little white dot in the middle, it hurts like burning when I touch it. I have dental braces , and I've shown this to my dentist , he said, he will remove my braces next month and if it doesn't go away, he...

doctor1 MD

hi my daughter is 14 years old started menarche since 10 years old. she stopped growing and she is only 153 cm..... can she eat ashwaghanda powder or aswaghanda lehyam ? which is better > she has done some hormonal test everything is normal except...