Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

I have a colloid goiter. Is it dangerous to have?

i undergone biopsy and thyroid panel and the result was i have a colloid goiter .Is it dangerous to me having this?how can i prevent this from growing?do i have to take medicine for this so that it will not grow and it will gone through taking medicine?i m evel ann dilan 27 years old.from philippines.pls help me.thank you and May God Bless You!
Asked On : Tue, 16 Nov 2010
Answers:  1 Views:  588
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response

When the thyroid gland is not able to produce the required amount of thyroid hormones for body, thyroid gland enlarges to produce more thyroid hormones. Thus Colloid goiter is a enlarged goiter in an effort to produce more hormones to meet the body needs. But some of the tissue in goiter may be HOT and some may be cold. Hot means the part of the gland is producing more hormones and COLD means the part of gland is not producing or producing less hormones.

It is harmless initially. But in long run it might cause cancer. You can prevent further growth of the gland by taking supplemental iodine. If the goiter is producing too much thyroid hormone, treatment with radioactive iodine, antithyroid medication, or surgery may be necessary. The medications do not work and you may need surgery if it is cold and causing problems.

Dr. Jagdish

Answered: Tue, 16 Nov 2010
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor