Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

194 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

I have Mitral Valve Prolapse

My doc told me that i can't drink coke or other softdrinks also chocolate becuase of caffine. Can I know why? Please help
Sat, 27 Aug 2011
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Thanks for query,
Caffine is central nervous system stimulant and stimulant to heart too.
But it is not hard and fast to stop completely,you can take occasionally.
Ok and bye.
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
joerg's  Response
Caffeine tends to cause the heart to speed up slightly, how much depends on how much caffeine in the system and how sensitive you are to the effects. As a rule, people with MVP don't have a lot of trouble with the occasional drink of a caffeinated drink, unless the prolapse is severe. You reallly ought to discuss this with the cardiologist, though, as they would be most familiar with your particular case and the severity of it. If you had symptoms that caused you alarm, it may be you are one of the more sensitive folks and would benefit from a caffeine free diet. But that's something you need to discuss with the doctor.
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

simptoms for mitral valve prolapse?

doctor1 MD

luckily i had to serve for my National services.. if not i didnt know that i had this disease ... i had it since about 9 months ago.. i didnt consult any doctor after my check-up yet and i m not on medications.. is there any cure to it?.. what will happen to me in 10 years time?..

doctor1 MD

I was recently told my EKG showed I have MVP.. I have had some of the symptoms for years.. My Brother also has it and will require surgery in the future they say.. My question is, with having some of the symptoms for years always thinking it was something else how bad could my MVP be?