Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

I had a root canal two weeks ago and now i am having pain

I had a root canal two weeks ago after throbbing/hot and cold sensitivity and chewing pain in molar#3. 3 days later, the chewing pain came back and was still throbbing. One week after the root canal, I saw the endodontist again.She found nothing on the exrays, but opened the tooth and, in fact, found an infection and drained a lot of puss from the area inside the tooth. She didn t finish the root canal to be able to make sure it was healing . i was supposed to go back in two weeks. It has been one week, and the chewing pain has returned, throbbing continues and has moved to my lower jaw as well and all pain seems to affect #3 and the one in front and behind it. No visible swelling (though I was very swollen after the draining and am slightly swollen in the top front of my gums by the tooth). I am going back to the endodontist today. Is this possibly NOT a root issue and a bone issue? Nothing is showing up on the xrays, yet I am STILL in pain. New pain developed yesterday- at random (not eating or drinking or out in cold or anything) it feels like I am being stabbed in my teeth from the bottom up in random spurts of pain. What is going on?
Asked On : Tue, 14 Dec 2010
Answers:  2 Views:  209
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

After Root canal Treatment the canals are completely devitalised and sealed to the apex, so there are no chances of pain.

Pain can be due to incompletely done procedure, accidently left over canal , re-infection, food lodgement between cap and tooth if the tooth is capped.

Get an x-ray done which will show any remnants of pulp tissue.
Depending upon the x-ray the treatment will be either re-RCT or extraction of tooth.
Take complete course of antibiotic and analgesics.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Fri, 19 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Nikhil Dutt's  Response
As there is continuous formation of pus in the apical area of the tooth involved and since the problem is a chronic one, there are two options available:-1. Either your Dentist should thoroughly debride the root canals and pack non-setting calcium hydroxide in the root canal for 2-3 weeks and repeat it once or twice and then do obturatin or 2. Go for Endodontic surgery.
These are the two clinical options available.
Answered: Wed, 29 Dec 2010
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor