Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

I had a fungus in my left ear, kindly help me

2 years ago i had a fungus in my left year the doctor prescribed drops and it went away last summer fathers day weekend i woke up on a saturday with my ear throbbing and went to the urgent care clinic where they prescribed drops and antibiotics . I went to my doctor a month later and when he checked my ear it was infected. so drops again. I have since had 3 other infections and been to a ent 2 times and each time he can not find anything what could be the cause. I just went to the urgent care clinic less than a month ago i had a infection of the ear drum antibiotic and steroids and now my ear feels infected again and the other has a ringing in it.
Asked On : Sun, 25 Apr 2010
Answers:  5 Views:  290
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
infection of the ear can be allergic, bacterial or viral.
You need to rule out the common infections in your region. Also avoid nicke ornaments.
Get your sugar tested and avoid using cell phones of others. Change the pillow casing everyday. Use washed ones for the same. Get a ent opinion. I would advise you to get a swab culture of the pus. Because cholesteotoma may need a surgery for cure. I hope i have answered your query. Take care
Answered: Sat, 5 Nov 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta's  Response
Hello.Welcome to HCM forum.Repeated ear infections may be due to ear drum perforation or repeated throat infections resulting in repeated inflammation of eustachian tubes or may be due to keeping poor hygiene of your ears.Consult a proper ENT specialist for the diagnosis and treatment.Thanks and good luck.
Answered: Sat, 5 Nov 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. K. P. V. Rao's  Response
Dear Jeff,
Recurrent ear infection espescially fungal infectionor otomycosis occurs if water goes in the ears say while swimming in a pool/having headbath etc.So,first of all----prevent water entering your ear.You may take Tab.Flucanazole 200mg once ,Tab.Flanzen-D 1-0-1x 5days and put candibiotic ear drops 2-3 times aday till infection clears.
Answered: Tue, 22 Nov 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Aparna Kohli's  Response
Hi Jeff,
Welcome to Healthcare Magic forum.
There could be several possible reasons for your condition. You could be suffering from chronic otitis media ( a long standing infection of the middle ear) or otomycosis ( fungal infection of the ear). Chronic otitis media could present with hearing loss, discharge, ear pain or low grade fever. It usually occurs due to incomplete resolution of an earlier attack of acute otitis media or recurrent infections in the ear. Treatment usually includes controlling the infection with antibiotics followed by surgical treatment.
Otomycosis is a fungal infection of the ear caused by organisms such as Aspergillus and Candida. They occur more frequently in diabetics and immunocompromised adults. Treatment consists of a topical antifungal agent.
Recurrent ear infections in adults can be caused by inadequate resolution of the infections described above and also by certain other conditions such as hypertrophied turbinates and nasal polyps.
You would need to see an ENT specialist for a thorough evaluation and appropriate treatment.
Hope this helps.
Take care
Answered: Tue, 22 Nov 2011
I find this answer helpful
  Anonymous's Response

Hi.. Recurrent infections are commonly caused due to diabetes and other immunocompromised status.. You would need evaluation for these to know if they are cause.. If not you would need surgical treatment to prevent the recurrence.... Check/discuss with your doctors any of these are required....

Answered: Thu, 6 May 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor