Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

I got some soft markers in ultrasound, what should i do now ?

Hi Dr. My baby has both kidneys with fluid measuring 7.8 mm and doctors found calcium deposit in heart but said heart is totally functional. With both of these soft markers Doctors gave and option of amniocentesis . All other tests came normal and there is no family history of Down Syndrome! What is your take on getting Amnio done? I am 21 week pregnant .
Asked On : Tue, 24 May 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  156
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Pediatrician 's  Response
The account you have given your baby may have got congenital hydronephrosis.The Aminocentosis is done to detect various birth defects like mongolism muscular distrophy, haemophillia, cystic fibrosis, spinal cord deffect(spina bi fida) Your case mongolism is unlikely. I think Doctors are doing to exclude any major congenital abnormalities.This is a common procedure and I hope every thing will be fine.
Answered: Tue, 21 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Amniocentesis (also referred to as amniotic fluid test or AFT), is a medical procedure used in prenatal diagnosis of chromosomal abnormalities and fetal infections,[1] in which a small amount of amniotic fluid, which contains fetal tissues, is extracted from the amnion or amniotic sac surrounding a developing fetus, and the fetal DNA is examined for genetic abnormalities.Amniocentesis is performed between the 15th-20th week of pregnancy; performing this test early can lead to injury to the baby's limbs. Most people do the test during the 18th week of pregnancy. Serious complications can result in miscarriage. Other possible complications include preterm labor and delivery, respiratory distress, postural deformities, fetal trauma. so consult your docter about all theses things. Its diagnostic test so you should undergo this for the diagnosis.
Answered: Tue, 24 May 2011
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor