Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

I developed a unusual rash, how long it would take to recover ?

Hi there, I m a 28 year old Caucasian female and back in June, I returned from Mexico, and within one day I developed this unusual rash that I ve never had before to the right side of my knee on my right leg that was red, itchy and inflamed; I never experienced any pus or blisters, it was just red thickened skin that was inflamed, itchy and very dry. I never treated, then it turned into a big inflamed patch that turned lighter than the skin around it (I ve tanned during the summer), so all you see is a big light patch that s around 5 inches in diameter. Then a month or so later I noticed a small pea sized white spot on the same leg and same quadrant of the leg (front and outside/right side of the leg). Then just recently I m finding that there are more lighter pigmented spots between that new pea-sized spot on and the original rash on my leg but all hypopigmented patches have really fuzzy undistinguished borders, and I ve also noticed a quarter sized inflammation an inch to the left of my right elbow (again, same side of the body, both right leg and right arm) along with other small circular dry (but not inflamed) patches just below my elbow, on the same direction, all also lighter in color than my tanned skin and slightly dry. I began treating it over a month ago where initially my GP suspected it to be fungal so I took lamisil that didn t do much. I was referred to go to a dermatologist, who then diagnosed me with Eczema and Pityriasis alba and prescribed me cortisone, which helped the inflammation on the knee, but because of fear of skin thinning I stopped using it 2 weeks ago, which a few days later caused the rash to return, I was really itchy and had many red bumps, but I ve been moisturizing it like crazy with Cetaphil and I can see dramatic improvement, however it s still slightly inflamed, and the hypopigmentation is still there and visible. After doing research on this condition it stresses that pityriasis alba occurs only in younger children or teens, so I m wondering if there was any possibility that I may have been misdiagnosed? Why am I getting it now? I realize that because I used cortisone, textbook definition eliminates it from being a fungal infection , is there any possibility that it could be bacterial or viral?? I just feel that it s spreading and can t contain it it s a little frustrating. What s the prognosis like? How long does this condition usually take for the skin to return to its original integrity ? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you very much!
Asked On : Wed, 17 Nov 2010
Answers:  3 Views:  408
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response

Thank you for consulting with us.

I have gone through your query. Thank you for giving such detailed description of your problem. I would recommend you to continue the treatment advised to you by your dermatologist as His diagnosis as well as his treatment is appropriate.

You don't have to worry much, with treatment it will subside but you will have to complete the full course and may be will have to repeat if it recurs, the condition can recur if you do not complete the treatment.

Please do get back to us if you have any more queries.

Answered: Tue, 27 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Radhika Thyagaraju's  Response
after raedding through your query i think what you may be having is a form of parasitic infection. however a infection which is systemic cannot be ruled out too....but i feel you are improperly treating your self.
i would advise you to get yourself treated only after getting a check from a dermatologist again. do not self medicate. if it is fungal it will take some time to get a cure as fungalinfections are diff to treat.
also i would advise you to get a complete blood hemogram done with relavent parasite screening.
also get your blood sugar levels testing done.
in the mean time take in rich foods with zinc and selenium in it.
also use safflower oil in cooking as it is a good source of essential fatty acids.
in case the symptoms worsen pls call your emergency number.
i hope i have answered your query.
wishn u a speedy recovery
Answered: Thu, 29 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Am a Nutritionist , me i have some good supplements for this thing which already proven.

Dr Sanjibita
Answered: Thu, 18 Nov 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor