Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

I am unable to open my mouth at full. shall I need to undergo any kind of surgery ?

Hi,I have been chewing pan masalas and gutkhas for about 5 years and now since past 4 years i have completely left it.but i found myself a problem that i am unable to open my mouth at full. so could you please tell me the solution and to which specialist should i need to consult and is it a curable or shall i need to undergo any kind of surgery
Asked On : Wed, 24 Feb 2010
Answers:  7 Views:  622
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dentist 's  Response
Since you mention your habit of chewing Tobacco-products, then the probable implication is that you have already consulted a doctor, and you know that your problem is OSMF (Oral sub-mucousal fibrosis), and not any TMJ (Temporo-Mandibular Joint) problem. DO NOT CONSIDER ANY SURGICAL OPTIONS, as after radical ressection (surgery for OSMF), more chances are that your mucosa may contract even more than at present state, when it heals over the surgical scars, making your mouth close even further. Your best option is to completely quit Tobacco consumption (in any & all forms), considerably reduce and limit the use of spices in food (bland food would be best though), completely avoid all mucosal irritants like Alcohol, Soda, Aerated Drinks, Vinegar etc., & stay on a diet of fresh fruit and vegatables, for no less tha 6-9 months. Antioxidants & Physiotharapy will help, for which you should seek proper medical help from a good Hospital or Medical & Dental college, but be assured, that once OSMF sets in, it can never be properly cured, but only further degeneration can be stopped, if properly intervened and tackled in time.
Answered: Sat, 14 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

  User's Response
You are suffering from a disorder that is called Submucous Fibrosis, which is not uncommon in Betel nut chewers. Once formed It never cures, rather it worsens with time even if you discontinue your habit. There is no definitive treatment. Oral medications like vitamins or antioxidents are of no use, rather some different injections into the affected site along with mouth opening exercise is effective. Surgery should be the last option as it commonly recurs after surgery. YOU SHOULD BETTER CONTACT TO ORAL MEDICINE DEPARTMENT OF SOME NEARBY DENTAL COLLEGE than to visit local dentist, who may take unnecessary chances without knowing proper treatment.
Answered: Fri, 23 Mar 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Your clinical history and symptoms suggest that you have developed with an condition known as Oral submucous fibrosis (OSMF).
In this condition there is fibrosis of the oral tissues leading to stiffness and difficulty in mouth opening.

I would suggest you to quit the habit of gutkha chewing.
Avoid eating of hot and spicy food stuffs.
Go for symptomatic treatment of scaling and polishing of the mouth.
Take multivitamin tablets.
Take warm saline gargles 3-4 times a day.
Follow the mouth excercises of slowly opening and closing the mouth by keeping one finger in mouth, followed by two, three and so on.

I would suggest you to visit to an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon and get the checkup done.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Sun, 14 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist, Periodontics Dr. Arati C Koregol's  Response
welcome to HCM
As you have history of tobacco chewing ,this condition may be submucous fibrosis of cheek mucosa where it becomes fibrosed causing difficulty in mouth opening or reduced mouth opening. this has phasevise treatment so consult a oral medicine doc for diagnosis and treatment of it.
another reason may be TMJ problem that can be con firmed after x-ray and thorough diagnosis.
so consult a oral medicine and radiology (OD)Specialist for diagnosis and therapy.
Take care.
Answered: Wed, 4 Apr 2012
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Dear ajai mehta,

What is your age? do you suffer from any other problems like numbess, lose of taste, pain etc.

We have to find out if there is any problem happened with tobacco chewing.

try the folowing;

apply arimedadi thail over the face and head, take face steam for 15 minutes

2.drop anu thailam 4 drops on each nostrils and inhale it, if any phlem coming you may spit it out. Continue for r seven days
Answered: Fri, 23 Mar 2012
  Anonymous's Response

It is curable through some surgical procedures and conventional therapies. A M.D.Medicine doc could help you out or you may directly visit a General Surgeon, but your M.D. guy could refer you more appropriatley after a examination.

Answered: Wed, 24 Feb 2010
Dentist, Orthodontics Dr. Aabhishek Agrawal's  Response
Answered: Tue, 7 Feb 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor