Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

152 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

I am taking dental pain medications also, but still have pain , please suggest me what should I do ?

I had a caries of tooth from 6 days. I used to take pain medications and the pain used to come out. From 2 days i noticed that my cheek started becoming big. There was lot of pain also. I started getting fever also. Is ther any thing wrong. Iam taking pain medications also, but still the pain is not coming down
Mon, 27 Sep 2010
Report Abuse
  User's Response
's  Response
First of all, with all the symptoms you have stated, i guess you have got infection and caries since months, but u noticed it 6 days back.
Analgesics (medication which subside pain) is not treatment, its just temporary relief to buy some time for you to get complete treatment. so, its not going to solve your problem.
Your cheeks are swelling thats is due to Infection, aerobic as well as anaerobic, and the fever is due to the infection. And just pain killers arent going to solve your problem.

You need to consult your dentist and he or she will take a Radiograph or X-ray, and will advice you treatment, mostly extraction or Root canal treatment, but in few cases, incision and drainage is also needed if the infection is very much spread. But from your case presentation, i guess your swelling will be subsided with the help of Antibiotics which cover both aerobic as well as anaerobic infection, (dont try to self medicate yourself, consult your dentist) and pain killers, they will act efficiently when you are taking antibiotics alongwith it.

For any other querry, you can contact me anytime at Dental Care Forum and you can get some insight and information on different dental care procedures on my Dental Care Blog.

Dr. Shoeb Ansari
  User's Response
koichi's  Response
it needs to be removed get RCT done
  User's Response
rakshita's  Response
yes i agree with you, go for root canal treatment.
  Anonymous's Response
Anonymous's  Response

Hi.... you seem to be getting an infection.  suggest you to start an antibiotic with a good pain killer.  This will improve your symptoms...

  User's Response

Hi, It is obvious that you are suffering from dental infection. Pain killer alone will not be of much help. Thus i suggest you to take a course of analgesics and antibotics after consulting a dentist. Do not take medicines without consultation

Dentist Dr. Akbar's  Response
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hi im 20 im 5 8 190 lbs . . . i have been suffering from toothaches on a chipped moler for about 6 months now but have been putting off the dentist due to lack of health insurance , i had consulted a dentist a couple months ago and she told me i had to have a root canal or pull it out but like i said i put it off . . .about 4 days ago i had a toothache come on again in the same spot i always get them in but a little more painful this time .. . i had a tiny small abscess on my gum that went away , i took some penicilin ( still taking ) and 600 mg motrin for the pain the pain is deff gone but yesterday morning i noticed i have some sort of lump or raised area under my jaw like under my sking but under the side where the tooth hurts . .like i said the pain is gone now but i still have like a raised area that does not really hurt but if i open my mouth to wide it aches just a bit . . i have no idea what it could be ? idk if it is related to the tooth infection or something else . . because i am really in no pain at all just the raised area under my jaw line undr my skin . . . i dont know if it is just swollen or something else i am really worried..pleas help, thanks alot!

doctor1 MD

my right side of my mouth(tooth),inside my ear and left side of my neck are hurting.what is happening? i was told i have an infection on my rightside tooth.Never had that problem before.what toothpaste and what else do you recommend that i should take so the pain stops?

doctor1 MD

Hi. I had a wisdom tooth removed in the dentist s office 5 days ago. The extraction went well and for the first few days, I had mild pain and headaches. I went back in yesterday to have them check that everything was healing properly as it seemed to feel worse, jaw pain, hurt to move my jaw, etc. (I have been taking ibuprophen only when needed.) The dentist that was in confirmed that the blood clot was intact and was healing properly. I can barely swallow this morning on the right side only, even salivia, and ear on same side hurts. I felt mild flu like symptoms last evening but not this morning. Should I call my doctor for an antibiotic or will the ibuprophen help with the swallowing/sore throat pain? Thanks for your comments.