Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

I am only 18 yrs old, Could I have Type II Diabetes ?

Could I have Type II Diabetes? I'm only 18 yrs old :'( ? a few days ago i had a routine blood test done and this was the first time the doctor checked my glucose and insulin levels... i just got the lab results back and i m worried because they don t look very good..i m seeing the doctor again tomorrow to go over them. fasting glucose: 5.1 nmol/l (normal = 3.5 - 6.0) fasting insulin: 31 mIU/L (normal = 5 - 13) my insulin is 3 times normal? whats up with that? i m 5 2 102 lbs so im not overweight, i dont have any medical problems, and i m not on any medication. ok so i ll admit i have a high sugar diet -- major sweet tooth -- but i didnt think it was that serious since i wasn t gaining weight. in a typical day i probably eat about 10 chocolate biscuits, 2 chocolate bars and 3 cups of ice cream -not including normal meals like lunch and dinner. i skip breakfast.
Thu, 18 Oct 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Dentist, Periodontics 's  Response
once your bloodsugar are high. immeterial whether you are thin or obese you have to alter your diet.
Have regular meals and maintain timing for your food daily.
consult a dietician for the food chart to be followed.
have regular exercise/work out
lead a stress free life
avoid sugars
Consult a diabetologist for other lab investigation and treatment.
Hope i have tried to clarify your doubts.

I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Inderpreet Singh's  Response
type 2 diabetes is usually seen in older generation, but may occur in young too. the diagnosis of diabetes should be arrived at after a series of tests only, which include an oral glucose tolerance test too.
its better if you consult a doctor please.
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Periodontics Dr. Saumya Khanna's  Response
hi , the presence of high insulin levels is definately an alarming sign, you need to to get other blood tests done as we need to know the underlying cause of high insulin levels, there can be many causes like insulin resistance, abnormal functioning of pancreas, hormonal disturbances etc. You need to restrict your sugar intake, if you have craving for sugar you can take natural sugars like jaggery. Also you need to exercise regularly, have a balanced diet and take good amounts of fluids.
take care
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Geoffrey Ward's  Response
Hello and thank you for your question
If you are gettign tested this high it is a probability that you have diabetes. You may also have an infection or other systemic issue that is causing this imbalance. You should have more than one blood test done to rule out other possibilites. You have to alter your diet, reduce the sugars, increase your protein intake.

I hope this helps you with your concerns.

Best wishes, good health

Dr. Ward
I find this answer helpful
  Anonymous's Response

Hi... The presence of high insulin may indicate insulin resistance. This is an indication of prediabetes... Prediabetes have 10 to 20 percent chances of developing type II diabetes.  And you are not doing any good by consuming the extra carbohydrate diet... You can prevent diabetes from starting up following low sugar and fat diet and good exercises...

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor