Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

I am having discoloration of teeth after smoking

Iam smking from 5 years. I also have lot of tea and coffee alos. As a result of this iam having brown coloration of my teeth. Iam brushing 2 times a day. But still it is there.
Wed, 31 Jul 2013
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Hello there,

Thanks for writing your query.

Your teeth discolouration is due to heavy smoking and lots of tea and coffee intake,these stains will not go after simple brushing.

So i would suggest you visit a dentist in your area at the earliest and get the scaling and polishing done,if stains will be there even after scaling and polishing you need to go for bleaching.

Maintain good oral hygiene,brush twice daily,and follow biannual dental check up.

And leave smoking at the earliest otherwise it may lead to serious oral health problems along with staining.

Hope this will be helpful.
Take care.
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Dentist Dr. Yogesh Tripathi's  Response
first of all i would advise that gradually you stop smoking because that can cause real serious problems
now to your query you can do following
1.visit your dentist and get your scaling and polishing done
2.and if you are still not satisfied you can ask your dentist for a bleeching procedure
hope that helps
I find this answer helpful

 6 users find this helpful

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

The stains on your tooth are due to excessive smoking.
These are external stains which are tenaciously adhered to the tooth surfaces and does not go away by simple brushing.
I would suggest you to visit the Dentist and get complete mouth scaling and polishing done.
Maintain a good oral hygiene.
Take chlorhexidine mouthwash gargles twice daily.

Hope this helps out.

I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Shefali Gupta's  Response
Thanks for asking query,
Discoloration of the tooth can be extrinsic and intrinsic.
Extrinsic stains - it occur due to stains , restorative material , tea, coffee, tobacco and chromogenic bacteria.
Intrinsic stains- it is due to stains within enamel and dentin because of deposition of certain sub stances.
According to your explanation it seems that you are having extrinsic stains.
I suggest you to visit dentist get the scaling and polishing done followed by bleaching if needed.
Maintain oral hygiene, stop smoking, use hydrogen peroxide mouthwash in 1:4 ratio with water, brush twice daily.
hope this will help you .
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

I would suggest you to visit a dentist and get a thorough scaling done to remove tobacco as well as tea/coffee stains completely.

Maintain oral hygiene well.

Discontinue the habit of smoking.

Rinse your mouth after every meals.

Use chlorhexidine mouthrinses along with toothbrushing with desensitising toothpaste.

Take care.
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
these are stains caused by tar and combustion products of smoke along with tannins and caffeine of tea and coffee.. these stains the enamel (Upper most layer) of the teeth. these are very tenacious and simply don't go off by simple brushing even if you start brushing teeth three times a day. the treatment is first to limit your smoking and drinking tea/ coffee habit. secondly SEEK A PROFESSIONAL SCALING (oral prophylaxis or cleaning), from a dentist. Lastly you can also get TEETH BLEACHING done if you desire to get more whitening.
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
it is better...u meet an dentist..he will give some solutuion...cos he has got medicine for stain removal....u quit somking if possible
  User's Response
use electric brush to brush your teeth. i have heard that the electric brush will clean the stain of teeth also.
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor