Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

I am diagnosed with a heart murmur. I also have asthma

I visited the doctor today because of an injury to my foot. It was found I sprained my ankle and was told I also had a Heart Murmur.Now I am a bit worried.I had been sick for 3 days prior to my ankle injury and was experienceing dizzyness paleness,and shortness of breath . And I realized that these are some of the symptoms of a Heart Murmur, but did not know this while I was at the doctor. I also have asthma so I figured that was what was causing my symptoms. But I dont believe it is the asthma acting up, since I have had to use Abuterol more than four times this week. I didnt tell the doctor this, he is not my regular doctor. What test should I have done, I have had a Stress test, Heart Imaging test, and electrocardiogram two months ago, and they turned out to be normal. Should I be concerned about the doctors findings on the heart murmur.
Asked On : Sat, 19 Dec 2009
Answers:  1 Views:  367
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
A lot of the answers you have received are correct. Albuterol speeds your heart up, So you should be on a preventive medication to keep your asthma under control. A heart murmur can be caused by many things. Has your doctor referred you to a heart specialist or is he doing these tests on his own. I have had the tests that you have mentioned. They showed nothing of my heart condition. The less invasive tests are an echocardiogram and now there is talk that an MRI can also show what is going on with your heart. The symptoms you mentioned could be a sign of something serious. I am not trying to scare you. You do need to see a specialist if he doesn't do more tests and you continue to have the same symptoms. Go to an ER next time and let them admit you and run the tests. The next step after the tests I mentioned would be a heart catherization, you will be put in twilite sleep while they perform that procedure. That test is usually the last one they perform but they get a better picture of what is wrong with your heart or if you have a blockage, mitral valve prolapse or mitral reguritation which is what I was finally diagnosed with. Do seek your answers from a cardiologist. Ask your physician for a referral to go. It is your right as a patient and his duty to give you the referral. If you get no where, find another doctor.
Answered: Sun, 20 Dec 2009
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor