Owl Image

I am 20 years old suffering from severe back pain. Am i too young for surgery ?

20 years old Female I had a MRI in 2007 and starting to have severe back pain now...like sensitive to the touch. My Aunt basically summed up what they said four years ago but I still don t understand some of it and actually figure a little more on what I need to do have another MRI or go on with the pain and deal with it. I hurt my back in high school and went to a chiropractor for a while...he claimed I had a deg disk and said by my x-rays it looked as if I had wipe lash (neck). Finally went for MRI and seen a specialist about it. He did not seem too concerned about it. He asked me if I still wanted to cheerlead and told me not to lift anything over five lbs...And that I was too young for surgery . My family doctor wanted me to go for physical therapy but I did not need to miss the time from school, so I decided not to. My MRI basically is summed up below. Please break it down for me and help me decided the best thing to do. 2. L4-5 WITH A POSTERIOR DISC PROTRUSION, MOSTLY IN THE MIDLINE AND TO THE RIGHT OF MIDLINE, WHICH NARROWS THE RIGHT LATERAL RECESS AND IS IN CONTACT WITH THE DESCENDING RIGHT L5 NERVE ROOT. 3. L5-S1 WITH DISC OSTEOPHYTE COMPLEX POSTERIORLY, SLIGHTLY MORE SO TO THE LEFT AND FACET HYPERTROPHY ON TOP OF ALREADY CONGENITALLY NARROWED SPINAL CANAL . THIS CAUSES MILD TO MODEST SPINAL STENOSIS, AND LEFT LATERAL RECESS NARROWING, ALTHOUGH IT DOES NOT APPEAR TO COMPRESS THE DESCENDING LEFT S1 NERVE ROOT.
Tue, 10 May 2011