Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

I am 18,having BP 145/118. suffering from chest pain

I am eighteen years old. I ve been getting (for lack of a better descripstion) chest spasm for the last year. They are usually quick, sharp pains through the upper chest and leave within minutes. During my last month of school, one day they became much more. I could hardly breathe, I nearly collapsed, my chest was tightenting and the pain was shooting through my chest without any pause. For some odd reason, the nurse measure my blood pressure . It was 145/118. I didn t know anything about blood pressure, but an hour later when she sent me to class, a teacher asked what she d done and expressed concern over the numbers. Since then, it hasn t gotten that bad. I still get the chest spasms, but they re like they were to begin with. I m wondering if I should go to a doctor , though.
Wed, 16 Dec 2009
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
Yes, you should see a doctor. The pain over such along time should be investigated. It could be from heart disease, lung disease or something less severe, but still you should have it assessed by a doctor. When your blood pressure was checked by the nurse, you were in distress (from the chest pain). The stress would likely make your blood pressure go high. I would be surprised if it didn't. Also, a single reading can not indicate high, low or normal blood pressure. Several readings over time must used to make a determination. See the links below for more specific information on angina (chest pain) and blood pressure. Good luck, Terry
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor